Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Gasket is Toast!

Options
2SCdoodlegg
2SCdoodlegg Posts: 92
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
We just purchased a BGE and accidentally burned up the gasket on the second cooking event- pizza!  Is it possible to do pizza on the BGE without totally destroying the gasket? 
1large BGE and 1 well used mini BGE living in coastal South and North Carolina!

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I'd go ahead and cook what you want without regard for the gasket. Is going to burn up no matter what you do eventually. No problem cooking without a gasket.  If/when you look to replace it, look into the Rutland gasket and you'll never have to worry about the gasket again.  I have a Rutland a love it -- you can put one on for under 20 bucks.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Yes. But there have been many reports of early gasket failure while doing pizza. I lost one that was about a week old during pizza #2.

I'm of the opinion that a new gasket isn't really air tight. Usually, the pizza set-up diverts the very hot gasses right at the gasket. As the hot gases pass thru the slightly porous felt, the material just bubbles away. While I agree with the general opinion that the stock gasket simply will not last, and should be considered expendable, I've had reasonable longevity by doing a a bunch of low and slow cooks before going high temperature. My guess is that the mixture of soot and grease forms a good seal, and the hot gasses can barely pass thru.

While many Eggers replace the stock gasket with other materials, such as very expensive Cotronics ceramic material, a fair number just cook without. For me, its been easy enough to change gaskets, altho irksome, that I'm still using the standard felt.

I'm maybe lucky. Both mine are at 20 months, and not quite gone.  A week ago, I was pre-heating for bread baking, and let myself get distracted. I returned to the Egg w. the dome above 700, the pizza stone above 600. A portion of the old gasket was actually bubbling. Shut it down some, cooked the bread, and found I still had about a 1/8" left.  Figure I've got another month or so till it goes on the old cruddy thing.

• gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options

Somewhere on this forum I read when baking pizza to use the place setter with the legs up, keeping the heat below the gasket line.  Haven't tried it as yet but wish I had of read that before my first pizza cook.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options

Somewhere on this forum I read when baking pizza to use the place setter with the legs up, keeping the heat below the gasket line.  Haven't tried it as yet but wish I had of read that before my first pizza cook.

That was also passed on to me by the mothership when I put in for a nomex after burning mine.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • djmsalem
    djmsalem Posts: 46
    Options
    Plate setter legs up works OK to save the gasket, but it makes controlling the temperature of the pizza stone a lot harder, IMO. Although I suppose you could use a second stone under the pizza.

Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, CyberQ, Ash Kicker, SmokeWare SS Chimney Top
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Don't compromise your cooking because of the gasket.  And if you heat the egg past the melting point of the felt gasket, it degrades...first time your use it or the 101st.  It's an organic gasket, the melting point doesn't change because it's seasoned or you're using hickory rather than apple wood, etc.  My $0.02 as a chemist/scientist.
    Options
    If the Mother Ship wants pizzas cooked with the platesetter legs up (this is how I do them), they need to update the sheet that comes with their pizza stones. There is a pic on this sheet showing the platesetter legs down. At very minimum, toss in an amendum that tells customers the new and updated proper way to do it.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    my first cook doing pizza and the second was legs done (bye bye gasket of course) i've since gone legs up with my grid on and raise my pizza stone up 3 inches on the grid higher into the dome and the pizza's turn out great no problem reaching 500 + that way and the stone gets plenty hot enough 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    After a few weeks, gasket on my mini is now missing in a few spots. I will call and see if I can get a replacement, kind of weak to tout a coker that goes to high heat but the stock gasket won't last but everything else has been great.
    Seattle, WA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I undercooked my toast the other day and it tasted like gasket.
    Options
    I toasted my wife and got a kiss!  :P
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Mine thought that comment was sweeeeet.  (awwwwwww)
    Options
    Kiss her life is to short!!  \:D/
  • shadowhouse53
    Options
    Gaskets are totally overrated. Just keep the edges scraped clean and you won't even miss it.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options

That was also passed on to me by the mothership when I put in for a nomex after burning mine.

I started this at the motherships request also, but I'm finding it only slows the crispy gasket process.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    2 days past and still no response to my email with pics about my fried gasket on 1 month old mini. I had an email on something else go unanswered in the past.
    Seattle, WA