Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby backs

tybish
tybish Posts: 61
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
What do you all consider the best method for cooking ribs?

Comments

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    edited July 2012
    3-2-1 method for me.  

Remove the membrane on the bottom using a paper towel to grip it after prying a little bit up.
    Rub with regular yellow mustard, a very light coat
    Apply dry rub to cover all of the mustard
    Cook indirect for 3 hours at 225-250 grate temp
    Remove and wrap in aluminum foil with a splash of liquid (apple juice, beer, etc)
    Put back on for 2 hours at same temp
    Remove, tear off the foil, and put back on at same temp for 1 hour.

If you want sauce, you can baste them during the last little bit, I leave them dry rubbed.  These will be falling off the bone, we like them that way, others think it's too tender (especially for competition).  If you want them less tender, play with the cooking times (mainly the "2" hours in foil).

Frank
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Google Car Wash Mike's - His method works very well to my liking.
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    edited July 2012

I don't foil anything I cook.  I pull the membrane from the back and rub them with whatever rub I am going to use and throw them on the Egg until they are done.  Gets a good bark, ribs are tender and everyone loves them.  If I am saucing then I will put sauce on for the last 30 or so minutes. 

Foiling has been discussed ad nauseum and as everyone else mentions it is basically steaming/braising the ribs which helps the ribs cook faster and some will say that it helps with tenderness.  However, I have never had any problem's with tenderness and in friendly competitions with friends and family my ribs have always come out on top against people who foil, cook on gassers, charcoal, oven and pretty much every other method.

All of that being said, try both ways and fifure out which you like best.  There are as many ways to cook ribs as there are people who enjoy eating them and the most important thing is that you like eating what you are pulling off of your Egg.  Good luck and enjoy!

• Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Car Wash Mike
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    There is no "best" way.  There are ways people have success with and they consider it the best way.

I never, ever foil babybacks on the egg.  I just spray with apple juice every hour AFTER the first two hours when the bark is forming.

I get the results I (and my family) like, so that is the best  way for me.

Don't be afraid to try different methods, and figure out which way is best for you.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    +1 with GA_Dawgs-best to experiment with various X-X-X methods til you find the one you like.  Great way to "have to keep cooking ribs".  I'm in the X-0-0 camp but to each his own.  Try searching ribs and you will get lots of threads.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tybish
    About how many hours do you cook them Duganboy? What temp?
  • Howdy_Doody
    Howdy_Doody Posts: 168
    edited July 2012
    '
    Im pretty much like Ga Dawgs.  I splash some worcestershire sauce on the ribs so the rub will stick.  Then, I put on a light coating of either Salt Lick Garlic rub or Texas BBQ rub.  Cook indirect for 3+ hours at 250-275, until you see the bones sticking out, then brush on glaze (I use Bone Suckin' Sauce) and cook another 30 minutes or so.  Nice bark, falling off the bone tender, a bit spicy from the rub and sweet from the glaze.

Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    About how many hours do you cook them Duganboy? What temp?
    @tybish temp I like is 225 grid, which will be about 250 dome if you don't have a Maverick type thermo to register the pit temp.

Depending on the size of the ribs, it will take 4-5 hours.  I don't pay much attention to time, I just always try to start early knowing that I can FTC and hold them for a couple of hours easy.
  • currycoma
    currycoma Posts: 12
    Looks wonderful.. Nice .357 too :)
  • Looks wonderful.. Nice .357 too :)
    Haha, I didn't notice the revolver at first. Just who do you have coming over for dinner?
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • tybish
    I guess I wouldn't mind a nice rack of ribs for my final meal!
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    I think it means "touch my ribs and die". Nice touch.
  • FxLynch
    It is funny how different and opinionated we are with ribs :)  When I hear people talk about saucing them, or spraying/basting I instantly stop listening, as it sounds some people do when foiling is mentioned.  I need to keep an open mind and try the basting or misting one of these days, with no foil. 

Frank
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    I like mine turbo. 2hours at 350 indirect. Membrane removed of course. Cook until they bend then about 20 minutes more.
    Family likes these the best!
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• FxLynch
    I like mine turbo. 2hours at 350 indirect. Membrane removed of course. Cook until they bend then about 20 minutes more.
    Family likes these the best!
    Do you flip them at any point?  I'm assuming no foil, just on the grill indirect?
  • I'm going to try ribs first time this weekend. I've had my egg for all of 2 weeks. Can somebody please give me the amateur directions? I have never tried ribs before. What temp? Use the rib rack? (I have one) rub recipe? I want a simple plan to get me through my 'first time' then I will experiment and perfect.

In turn, I have a beef stew to share that will cure anything. Provided my g/f gets me the dutch oven die cast before fall (in SE PA)
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    I flip twice. Probably don't need too. No foil. Just indirect over a foil covered plate setter. I just can't find the time for 5 hours for ribs. I can put them on after work and eat them during the week
    XL   Walled Lake, MI