Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which accessories should I start with?

grillingunner
grillingunner Posts: 116
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am new to the BGE. I have not even got mine yet. When I purchase my egg I am planning on getting a plate setter and pizza stone initially. Are there any other items I should consider right from the start? Also what type of starter should I use? Thanks in advance for the advice.
LBGE And MINI Egg

Comments

• JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    You need some type of grill extender- woo3, grill extender, lag bolts, etc. to be able to cook raised and direct as opposed to indirect and raised with the plate setter.   Most of your chicken and other meats will be cooked direct and raised other than the ribs and pulled pork dishes which are raised and indirect.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Not unique to the egg, starting with fluid is frowned upon, but just about any other way you'd normally start charcoal is fine.  The wax squares that came with my egg worked fine, electric starters work well but I've heard reports about they seem to last only a season before breaking.

I'd get a good digital thermometer - dual zone for food and dome. 

I just ordered a Thermapen (quickread for food).  I think it's important to know when your food is done.

You'll love your egg.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Here is a great post about what you should look for. Click here.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Here is a great post about what you should look for. Click here.
    @Brownie-Nicely done.  Saves lots of computer cut&paste time!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

2nd the above responses, especially the Thermapen.

I use 3 paver stones sitting on top of the fire ring to raise my grill to the gasket line for raised grilling.

Cookin in Texas
  • lemonade
    lemonade Posts: 93
    I REALLY like the BBQ Guru DigiQ with pit viper.  Pricey  ($280 ish, purchased online), but makes low and slow a total no-brainer.  I imagine some would disagree, but wow, almost feels like cheating!    
    Is it done yet? Is it done yet?
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    I REALLY like the BBQ Guru DigiQ with pit viper.  Pricey  ($280 ish, purchased online), but makes low and slow a total no-brainer.  I imagine some would disagree, but wow, almost feels like cheating!    
    I really wanted one when I first started, and one day read a post from a very experience forum user saying about how he has never needed a temp controller. So that really put me on the fence post about a purchase that large. Since then I have gotten other accessories that I use weekly. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have an automatic temp controller (they seem really awesome, and I don't hear any complaints) but by not purchasing one it has allowed me to purchase a lot of meat and charcoal. (guess i may be jealous)
    ;)
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

When I started, my perspective was I wanted to learn temp management - felt like it would help me understand better what was occuring during the process.

Feel like I have a good handle on temp now - I think the only thing that would move me to a temp controller would be if I decided that I wanted to put something on and not even be home for several hours to all day.   I use a maverick, monitor whenever I am around the house.  I don't hesitate to leave for an hour or two - maybe three.  

There may be a time in the future when I want to leave unattended (by that I mean not even home to listen for the maverick beep)  for 8 to 12 hours - but until then - too much fun watching the maverick, smelling the faint fragerance for Hickory in the air, and having a cocktail in the back yard.

Cookin in Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162

No disagreement with the electronics if that's what you choose to do do but as Brownie says above you can figure this out w/o the $$ controller and use the $$ for other BGE related toys.  And yes-I am in the manual (lower vent and DFMT) camp but I also enjoy the opportunity to challenge myself to "dial-it-in" and let the BGE do its thing.  To each his/her own-

BTW-Welcome aboard. You will enjoy the journey.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    In my opinion, the only mandatory accessory is a good instant read thermometer.

Others nice to have:
    * a way to go indirect (plate setter).
    * pizza stone
    * a wok is fun to use.

That's really all I own.

After trying just about every way to start the grill, I've found the electric starter to be the best.

Enjoy.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• In my opinion, the only mandatory accessory is a good instant read thermometer.

Others nice to have:
    * a way to go indirect (plate setter).
    * pizza stone
    * a wok is fun to use.

That's really all I own.

After trying just about every way to start the grill, I've found the electric starter to be the best.

Enjoy.

Will any electric starter work?
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    Any electric starter will work ... however you might consider a MAP torch and a cheap battery operated fan (think I pick 'em up for a buck a piece at WM). Just open the vents prop up the fan against the bottom and (depending on your lump/firebox cleanliness) you should have over 400 degrees in 10 minutes. And come on, admit it ... who doesn't like to play with a torch :-)

Platesetter is a great start fo a large. Then I would go thermapen, maverick (or IGrill - just make sure you have to probes), cast iron grate, grid extender (adjustable grate, lag bolts, three beer cans and an old weber grate, etc.), V-rack, aluminum pot an trivet (for NakedWhiz turkey!), spider, wok, an a table with a beer cooler. All in about that order.

I m in the - learn to control your temp manually before the auto-blower - way of thinking.
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    My biggest challenge when I first adopted my Egg was starting the fire and getting it up to temp. I tried the BGE starter cubes, paper towels dipped in vegetable oil, etc. Once i got the electric starter controlling the temps, and managing the egg became easy.

Plate setter, pizza stone, electric starter, glove/mitt, long tongs.
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited July 2012
    Will any electric starter work?
    Yup.  You can get them for $8 at any home improvement store.  As long as as you pull it out of the fire after 8 minutes (or so), it'll last you for years.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Will any electric starter work?
    Yup.  You can get them for $8 at any home improvement store.  As long as as you pull them out of the fire after about 8 minutes, it'll last for years.

Thanks for the update
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited July 2012
    Wok/spider

Grid gripper

Ash tool

LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    you can cook some amazing food with minimal tools....spatchcook chicken and meatloaf require basically nothing but getting the egg lit, a place setter, and dialing in the temp.  Big fan of my thermapen so that would be very high on the list....cook to temp not time....a lot can be done without a huge investment in extra's.

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC