Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time using XL and doing some Loin Backs. What's the best way to regulate the temp.

Options
BigDoug
BigDoug Posts: 9
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Doing 6 racks of Loin backs on my XL Egg and since it's my first time suing it I wanted some advice on the best way to get the temp to 225 and keep it there. I am using Wicked Lump and Weber Cubes to get it started. Thanks

Comments

• TexAg87
    TexAg87 Posts: 22
    Options
    I'm no expert on unattended, locked-in temp control on low and slows, but... Once you have just a small portion of the lump burning (you only need to put one cube in for that kind of temperature), you can close the dome, with your plate-setter or whatever you're using as a shield for indirect cooking in place, and let the egg start to warm up. It will take a little time to warm up the XL, but you don't want to get a really hot fire burning or you'll never get it back down in range.

Once the dome temp gets around 200, you'll want to start closing the bottom vent, and slide the top of the daisy wheel part way over the chimney. Mine is burning at 230 (250 dome) right now, and I have the bottom vent open 3/8-1/2", and just the slightest crack in the "petals" of the daisy wheel. It doesn't take much air flow to maintain 225. (I also have temperature probes holding one side slightly open, so I'm getting a little more exhaust through the gasket with this cook.)

Experience seems to be the best teacher. Congrats on the new egg. Enjoy!
  • BigDoug
    BigDoug Posts: 9
    Options
    How much lump should I use for 4 hours at 250?
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    You won't use much lump at all for that, but you always want to make sure you have more than you need, because you can reuse it.

Just cover the hole on the firebox about 2 in or so.

Temp control means air control, so your big control is the bottom vent and the DW vents are for minor adjustments.
  • Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    Options
    Will be doing something similar Thursday BigDoug. Have always used the BGE L for low and slows but want to try out the new XL for a 30 lb cook Thursday/Friday. Also using WG fo the first time (mostly RO previously which I have had good luck with in the large - I know shouldn't make so many changes at once). Will be interesting to see ho the mass of he XL effects the cook. Looking forward to the adventure