Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kansas City - where to stay? (And eat ;-)

Frachlitz
Frachlitz Posts: 17
edited June 2012 in Off Topic
Hi,

We are 2 guys comming from Europe to visit the US for Football and BBQ/Food/Beer/Burbon.... :-)

We are going to stay 3 days in Kansas City, 4 in New Orleans and 3 i NY.

But - are there any areas you would recomen to stay in KC? Where anything is happining?
Our should we just take a cheep motel in KC north/south etc. and drive?

And what BBQ supply stores should i visit in KC? I need to stock up on things hard to get in Europe :-)

And! where should we eat? :-)

Our plan is so far:
Kansas City - Collage Football (MizzouTigers), Harley Davidson, Boulevard Brewing Company, Joes BBQ, BBq stores????
New Orleans - Frensh Quarter, Deanies, Crazy Lobster, some Rum or burbon site?
New York - NFL (NYG/PIT), Katz Deli, Big Nicks, Brooklyn Brewery, Burger&Barrel, Burger Joint?

Anything we missed, anything we need? 

Kind Regards, Frank
Griller from Denmark, Europe (BigGreenEgg Large, Weber Q300, Weber Gold 57cm)

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    While in NY, I would definitly recommend Sylvia's Resteraunt.
    If you want to do BBQ in NY, Dinosaur BBQ. (Nyc not known for BBQ, but these guys are great though. )
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115

Being an ex KC native, I would tell you that visiting Jack Stack BBQ is a MUST.  2 words: Burnt Ends.  However, there are too many great restaurants too list.  For an unbelievable steak, try Plaza 3 or the Hereford House.  Expensive but well worth it for perfectly aged beef.  As for BBQ supply stores, I always ordered off of the internet.  However here are a few:

There is smoke n fire at 151st and 69 highway http://www.smokenfire.com/, KC BBQ srore at http://www.thekansascitybbqstore.com/ 11946 South Strang Line Rd. Olathe, KS and backyard bash and highway 9 and highway 45 in parkville http://backyardbashkc.com/
    FYI.....Depending on the dates of arrival, check the KCBS website for BBQ contests in the area.  The first weekend in October is the American Royal BBQ.  It is INSANE.

Hope this helps.  --Shawn

Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Deanies In the French Quarter is incredible, Also Johnny's Po-Boys is awesome for a great Po-Boy.

Commanders Palace also if you want to spend a few extra bucks. (Turtle Soup is tasty).

Absinthe Bar is a cool place for a drink.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    I know this isn't BBQ, but in KC there is a little pizza place called "Grinders" that has outstanding beer, and one of the best 3 pizzas I've ever had.  It's owned by a local artist named Stretch and the place is just cool, very industrial arts decorating on the inside.

If you go there, you have to try the pizza called the Bengal Tiger.  I've recommended it to lots of friends, and every single one has contacted me afterwards to praise that pizza.  

Their beer selection is amazing, not only the bottles but they have pretty hard to find beers on tap. 

• Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576

Kansas City - Chiefs NFL football (great tailgating), Jack Stack, The Kansas City BBQ Store, Arthur Bryant's, Gate's BBQ, Tech N9ne (if you like indie rap), Harley Davidson factory tour, Worlds of Fun, Boulevard Brewing (ESPECIALLY Smokehouse series beers), Power&Light District

New Orleans - Old New Orleans Rum Distillery, Abita Brewery, French Quarter, Tropical Isle, Cafe du Monde, Pat O Briens, too many good restaurants to name.  Stay at the Clarion (cheap and walking distance to Bourbon Street or Bourbon Hostel (free beer and pancakes)

http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/bestbrewers_012012.asp

What type of beer do you like?  We can make some recommendations.  As for as Bourbon, I can definitely recommend try any of the Bulleit line when you are here.

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    In NY -- there is always Per Se -- have eaten there a couple of times.  Makes the lifetime top dining experiences list.   Pricey, long 2 or 3 hour meal minimum.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Must go to Adolfo's in The Maraigny when in New Orleans.  Look it up on the web.  Locals go there but you need to get there when they open at 5:30 if you don't want a huge wait.  They seat about 35 to 40 people and usually have all seats full and a line forming by 6:15 or so.  This will be your best New Orleans meal and will be cheaper than the touristy places like Cammander's Palace, Brennan's and Emeril's.  I recommend the grilled fish with ocean sauce (the sauce may not be listed on menu but ask for it...they always have it) and the grilled pork chops in port wine sauce...enough for two!

However, if you want to try BBQ shrimp and grits I highly recommend Mr. B's Bistro on Royal Street in The Quarters.

Look up Rock 'n Bowl on the web and if at all possible get a cab and go.  The web will tell you all you need to know about RnB.  Basically it is a bowling alley with a nice bar and a live music stage and dance floor.  If you are there on a Thursday night you can enjoy some of the local flare...Zydeco music.

All the areas I speak of are places the locals go to with the exception of Mr. B's Bistro.  I prefer local hangouts mixed in with tourist stops when I go to a town like New Orleans.....

• my65falcon
    my65falcon Posts: 17
    +1 on Jack Stack definitely some fine BBQ and you also should give the cheesy potatoes a try while your at it there very good. Hope you have fun in are great country.
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Hey Frank, when are you planning on coming to KC?  I live in KC and can give you tons of good tips, but can probably give better advice if I know when you are planning on being here.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    +1 on Fiorelle's Jack Stack in KC.  The rack of lamb is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• alynd
    Jack Stack is good.  It's more of a sit down, nicer place than other BBQ joints around here.  My personal favorite places are Oklahoma Joe's (new location opening next week), LC's, and Arthur Bryant's.  
  • Frachlitz
    This is why it's so good to be an egghead :-)
    Thank you all - and keep em comming :-)

Alymd - thanks - we are in KC from the 26th of October to the 29th
    New Orleans 29th October to 2nd of November
    NY 2nd of November to 6th of November
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Halloween in NOLA?? THat is going to be crizazy!
  • alynd
    The Chiefs play the Raiders on October 28th.  I would highly recommend going to that game since the Raiders are a huge rival.  Tickets will cost anywhere from $50-100 depending on where you want to sit.  

As for where to stay, the three main entertainment districts are:
    Westport:  younger and rowdier crowd
    Plaza:  more upscale but still fun
    Power and Light (downtown)

Public transportation here is not too great, so if you plan on drinking a lot I would try to get a hotel near where you will be going out if possible.
  • khristyjeff
    khristyjeff Posts: 163
    Used to live in KC, and we really liked Smokehouse BBQ. Never seems to be mentioned on Food Network shows like the other restaurants that were named but all of their meats are excellent (including burnt ends), baked beans and french fries are some of the best we've had.
  • milkman5083
    milkman5083 Posts: 100
    Oklahoma Joe's is awesome. Stay down by the Power and Light District if you want night life. The Plaza is good too. It depends on what you're wanting. I'm a KC native and would love.to help.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Yeah, I'd go to see the Raiders decimate the Chiefs in KC. Can't wait for the LB corps to level K. Boss, and Denarius Moore to turn Routt into TOAST.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    While in New Orleans, go to Willie Mae's Scotch House for some excellent fried chicken.

Also, Port of Call has very very very delicious burgers and strong Hurricanes and Monsoons. We were blown away as we didn't expect that quality of food from a bar.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    Jack Stack in freight house (accross the tracks from Union Station) is outstanding - three words - prime beef ribs! Lidia Bastianich has an Italian Resteruant next door which is also great.

Smoke and Fire is a BBQ fantasy land (sans BGE as they carry Primo).

You should enjoy Live Strong Park! Intement soccer venue.
  • milkman5083
    milkman5083 Posts: 100
    Oklahoma Joe's is awesome. Stay down by the Power and Light District if you want night life. The Plaza is good too. It depends on what you're wanting. I'm a KC native and would love.to help.
  • seanwiley
    seanwiley Posts: 27
    Several great answers above but three observations:

a) The Chiefs will whip the Raiders. BYS1981 is clearly delusional :-)

b) I enjoy staying around the Plaza because there is so much to walk to

c) At the top of the post you mention seeing Mizzou play. But you realize their home field is not in KC? Looks like they play Kentucky on the 26th at Farout field, but Columbia is a several hour drive. Good news is that with a little planning you could do the Tigers and the Chiefs back to back. Woohoo
  • KC review --  Everyone raves about Jack Stack but its all about the sides there for me.  Plus you can get it shipped to anywhere in the US.  If you go to Okie Joe make sure you go to the gas station location.  I have several other recommendations if you want them.  The problem is there is no "best bbq" in KC.  Every place has their nitch; even down to the location.  I agree with the Grinders recommendation too!  Pizza, Pizza~!  Great burgers at Swagger in Waldo as well.  I prefer their (waldos) nightlife too.

Chiefs tailgating is out of season.  Go to the new Soccer stadium.  Those guys get nuts!  Royals aren't bad either but not much tailgating/bbq going on.

Where to stay -- do you want clubbing or fancy pants?  Clubbing = Power and light aka **** show.  Plaza is nicer although they have a couple dives.  There is a great new a loft in OP but that is a burb.  Some people dont like the burbs but you can walk to numerous places at this location.

As for BBQ stores, smoke and fire is good but its way south if you are DT or Plaza.  My preference is the BBQ store on 103rd and Metcalf.  Still south compared but not as far.  If you go on Saturday forget about eating.  They normally have 5 different grills fired up and last time i went it was Steak, Chicken, Pork, veggies, etc.  White coats and all.  Those boys get down and thats why we got our egg there.

If you need more deets let me know.  KC is our hood!  :)
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Oklahoma Joe's... In a Shamrock gas station on 47th and Mission Rd.  One of the "13 places to eat before you die" (Anthony Bourdain).  
    http://www.oklahomajoesbbq.com/
    Restaurant started by members of Slaughterhouse Five BBQ team that won Grand Champion of the American Royal BBQ championship two times and Reserve Champion twice.  Buy their "Cowtown" sauce.  Be prepared to stand in line!

Also try Arthur Bryant's... The shrine of KC BBQ... Originator of Burnt Ends (1st to sell them, anyway).
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    I also second Jack's Stack in the Freight House district... Lots of interesting stuff in the adjacent "Arts District"... as well as the new Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts... 
  • Frachlitz
    Thank you for you help - the hotels are the hardest part to decide... We are 2 friends, but are not 20 anymore - so not clubbing - but bars & beer :-) We are also going to rent a car.

Plaza = Plaza Contry Club?
    We are lookin at this hotel: 
    93 pr. night for a 2 queen size bed room....

Is this an ok location?

And i think we need to eat BBQ for breakfest to try all these great places you are telling about.
    Ohh yes, and BBQ stores... I think i need to visit a USPS to ship good home ;-)

We have a car - is ther any small no tourist city's we need to visit in the proximity?
    I think we are going to colombia to see one game.

Dame this is going to be a good trip - love he US :-)
  • Frachlitz
    A new loft in OP? Explain :-)
  • When you get to New Orleans go to Draco's and get grilled oysters...It is someting no-one should ever miss out on for a once in a life time meal.  I can't begin to tell you how good it really is...

Second place to go is the Central Grocery (just down the block Cafe Dumone where you get the donuts and coffe for breakfast, can't spell Benyeas-French word) for  for a Mufalatta and a cold beer for lunch, again a once in a life time meal...ask anyone for directions....

The food in New Orleans is great everywhere you go-enjoy!!!

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• brian4206
    brian4206 Posts: 19

Must hit Virgil's BBQ in Times Square. It's the best in NYC in my opinion. I don't go to Manhattan without stopping in. I always leave time for Virgil's.

If you are going to be more downtown there is another BBQ joint called Blue Smoke.

Also, Katz's Deli is legendary. You will be craving it forever after you have the pastrami.