Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Julie's Camp Bread

Options
Austin  Egghead
Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Julie posted this recipe http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1253483&catid=1  and it went immediately to the top of my to cook list. Simple ingredients: 1 gallon zip lock bag; 3 cups of bread flour;  13/4teaspoons of salt(used sea salt); 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast; 1 1/2 cups of RT water.  Put everything in the zip lock bag and mix to bring together.  Leave bag partially opened and walk away for the day.  I did this morning before work and cooked when I got home.  This is an easy fool proof and very tasty bread...It is a keeper>
Out of the zip lock bag
LeCrueset top would not work on the small.  Set up woo with pizza stone on lower bars for indirect.  Temp was 410. Cooked covered for 30minutes and uncovered for 10 minute
cover off
On the mark
Cooling (browner that this picture shows)  Fixed JD sausages topped with Better than Pork jam, scrambled eggs, toasted buttered bread.  Love breakfast for the evening meal

image This is really good bread and so easy.

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    What is rt water?

I wonder if it would make good pizza crust?

Options
    Funny you ask that....its the receipe that I used for my first pizza dough....LOL
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Options
  • Tak
    Tak Posts: 145
    Options
    Yeap....used it and it was good....baked to a very doughy crust....it was good....
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Room temp water
  • Howdy_Doody
    Howdy_Doody Posts: 168
    Options
    The loaf looks great.  I'll give it a try.  Thanks.
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    @pagman  Very similar to pizza dough except no sugar for the yeast,  except the sugar naturally found in the flour.  Will snap back when stretched.  It is very close to all-in-one-pot no knead no rise pizza dough that sometimes use except with more structure.  This is a very, very wet dough.
  • paqman
    Options
    @pagman  Very similar to pizza dough except no sugar for the yeast,  except the sugar naturally found in the flour.  Will snap back when stretched.  It is very close to all-in-one-pot no knead no rise pizza dough that sometimes use except with more structure.  This is a very, very wet dough.
    I'll try the bread tomorrow.  What size dutch oven are you using?

Options
    I used my 2 qt enameled dutch oven-dimensions 8.25in diameter by 4in deep.  Remember this is a very wet dough.  Put all dry ingredients in zip lock bag shake to mix and then add water and squish around to get the flour wet.  Leave on countertop for the day (or night).  It is very sticky use enough flour to keep from stick to your hands and the board...no kneading necessary. 
    Post your results.
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe.  I have been wanting to try bread on the egg.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • paqman
    Options
    Mixed 3 cups bread flour, 2 t table salt and 1 pack of active dry yeast (8 grams). My dutch oven is 5 quarts and will probably be too big. I'll report back tonight.

Options
    Post your results.
    Well, it did not look good but it was good!

I found an old  2 quart dutch oven.  The bottom of the loaf sticked to the dutch oven...  When I managed to get it out, it fell appart. :(  That being said, it was tasty and it is worth experimenting with this recipe.  Next time, I will oil the dutch oven and use only 1 tea spoon of salt and maybe use warm water instead of room temp.

Thanks for posting the recipe!

Options
    Nice post , ill be sure to try this but need the small dutch oven now. (Woo, wok, stones, ) on deck oven and skillet.
    Seattle, WA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Outstanding.  Bread is off our menu, but I might have to sneak this one in.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Austin  Egghead
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Second time as good as the first
    This time I used King Arthur unbleached bread flour (HEB bleach bread used first time).  I had to add 1 3/4 cups H2O because not all flour hydrated with 1 1/2C.  By 5pm it was a little wetter than the last loaf.  
    floured and shaped waiting for the egg to come to temp
    the set up on the small
    Cook temp was steady at 440 and total cook time was 50 minutes.  Pulled when bread read 205 and the probe came out clean.  
    on the cooling rack

This bread is pretty forgiving but there is some fell to it.  I added more water because it felt"dry" while kneading it which resulted in a longer cook.  I was concerned that the bottom would burn, but enameled CI came thru like a champ.  BTW I am using a 2 qt pot.  
    The other half says we don't need to buy bread now.  
  • paqman
    Options
    Are you pre-heating the dutch oven?

Options
    Yes. Once the smoke clears and the egg stabilizes at about 480 I place the empty DO on the egg. The small temp immediately drops to close to 425. I adjust the bottom vent to hold the temp.
    I cut down both sides of the ziplock bag and pour out the dough on a very well flour board and shape into a round. I oil the bag and cover the dough until the egg is ready. Note the DO is not oiled nor is the bottom of the bread. This is about twenty to thirty minutes total time before the bread is added.
    I just noticed the link doesn't work. I will correct when computer it fired up