Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Second attempt at ribs.

Options
Airwolf
Airwolf Posts: 76
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well when I made my first batch of ribs on the egg a month ago, I thought they were great.  Well, I have to admit, they were nothing like this batch.

What did I do differently?   Just about everything!

I used my own rub, based off a Bobby Flay rub I found on the internet. I halved the salt because I find most rubs recipes on the internet are way to salty.

Secondly, I used chunks instead of chips for smoking.  I was able have smoke going for almost the entire cook.

I used Car wash Mike's method, but adapted that a bit was well.  I didn't use any vinegar in the misting, and cooked them a bit longer but at a lower temp than he had listed.

The result, a lot more tender and moister than my first batch, smokier flavor, and much better tasting rub.

I don't think I cooked my first batch long enough.

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I understand that Car Wash Mike was a revered figure on this board and the foiling (crutch) method is used by many, many people.

Use your favorite rub and smoking woods, spray with apple juice every hour after the first two hours and you will never foil again.  The spritzing and the BGE keep the ribs moist and the bark will be much better if you don't steam the ribs for an hour or longer.

Give it a try.
  • Hogman348
    Hogman348 Posts: 70
    Options
    What temp are you getting it to smoke for almost the whole cook with chunks? If i keep mine at 250 dome it only smokes for about 30-45 mins before quitting. then i dont see anything coming out of dw the rest of the cook.

at 95-100 outside, i have the egg almost shut down to keep those temps low.

thx
    Woodstock, GA
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    edited July 2012
    Options
    @Hogman348 Ah!  You don't want to see the smoke!  Clear, yummy, sweet smelling smoke is what you want.  The dark smoke you see in the beginning is actually full of bad taste.  Alton Brown (FoodNetwork) did a great bit on this a while back showing all the chemistry of wood burning for cooking.

And you are right - I have my egg almost shut down completely in this heat to hold low 200's.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    @cookbook_chip

I've always wondered this. I do chunks and it seams like my smoke is always gone after an hour or so. But the flavor is still there. I'm dying to do some ribs soon!

XLBGE 
  • Airwolf
    Airwolf Posts: 76
    Options
    I kept my temps at about 200 initially, then gradually increased it.   By the end of the cook, setting the bbq sauce and warming up some baked beans, the temp was at 350-375.

Smoke wasn't visible the whole time, but I could smell it.  When I would open the dome to mist the ribs, I noticed smoke in the dome when opening.  After misting and closing the dome, I would get a very thin whips of blueish colored smoke for 10 mins that would eventually die off.  I am assuming this is because of the added air when opening the dome and allowing the chunks of wood to start burning a bit stronger.