Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Medium Capacity

Options
SmoothSmoke
SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
How much meat can fit on 1 medium BGE?  As in, how many 8# butts, baby backs, spares?  Do the ribs fit coiled or do you have to cut them in half?  If you have pictures, please share.  Thank you

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have fit 2 8lb butts, 3 racks of baby backs, and I haven't done spares yet. The baby backs I cut in half and I did not try to coil them, but I will try it next time. I did a 10lb brisket last Saturday, and to get it to fit I tied it with string. I don't have any saved pictures, sorry!
  • SmoothSmoke
    Options
    Thanks!  I picked up a medium yesterday.  Not sure how much I can fit on it at a time.  Cant wait to fire her up. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Don't have a medium but the obvious way to increase cooking area is to go vertical.  This can be done with a few fire bricks (or empty beer cans) and another grid a bit smaller in diameter than your main grid.  You can also use bolts etc to get elevated.  Regardless-congrats on your BGE and welcome-always remember-the journey is the fun part!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options

(or empty beer cans)

Thats Great!

=))

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• SmoothSmoke
    Options
    Who drinks beer out of a can? 
    [-X
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Only at the lake or the pool.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    My empty cans (kegs) won't fit in my egg!! 
  • DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    Options
    Don't have a medium but the obvious way to increase cooking area is to go vertical.  This can be done with a few fire bricks (or empty beer cans) and another grid a bit smaller in diameter than your main grid.  You can also use bolts etc to get elevated.  Regardless-congrats on your BGE and welcome-always remember-the journey is the fun part!
    It's hard to go vertical with a medium Egg....your food will hit the lid when you close it.   Especially difficult if you're using a plate setter and your grid is elevated.
  • DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    Options
    It's hard to go vertical with a medium Egg....your food will hit the lid when you close it.   Especially difficult if you're using a plate setter and your grid is elevated.