Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Grates ??

JKL
JKL Posts: 20
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anybody used a grill grate on any kind of BBQ. But most importantly on a BGE? And are they worth it?  They look like a good idea or not? Any input or help would be appreciated. ( grillgrate.com ). Thanks.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I would describe them as no value added.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I have a set that I have used for about a year. 

For six months, they sat unopened in a box because I had some assumptions about them.  Mainly that assumption was "Those would be great for people who can't manage their fire".

I finally opened them and have used them on my Eggs, a gas grill, and standard charcoal grill and my opinion changed, they are a useful tool for me. 
    • great for cooking delicate fish
    • flawless grill grate marks (granted you "can't taste grill marks" but you do eat with your eyes first)
    • Great for fatty foods that typically cause flare ups (skin on chicken, etc), especially on my non-egg grills
    • My 12 y/o likes using them for grilling burgers, makes it easy for him
    I still don't need them but I do like using them in some cases.  Just like I don't need cast iron grates or a lot of the other tools I use.  But don't tell my wife that :)) :-j

Did you see Danielle use them on last night's BBQ Pitmasters? 

Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I come from a different viewpoint.  I love them and use them for all direct cooks. I would replace mine in a heartbeat if I didn't have them.

That's why they make chocolate and vanilla:D
  • OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118

I would agree with this, except I think the look of my meat is part of the fun.  The meat cooked on the regular stainless grate will taste nearly the same, so from that perspective -- totally worthless. 

But, if you're looking to get a better looking result for your cooks, I think it's a better choice that CI.  They deliver perfect grill marks.

I use them 100% for direct grilling.

• Duganboy

I would agree with this, except I think the look of my meat is part of the fun.  The meat cooked on the regular stainless grate will taste nearly the same, so from that perspective -- totally worthless. 

But, if you're looking to get a better looking result for your cooks, I think it's a better choice that CI.  They deliver perfect grill marks.

I use them 100% for direct grilling.

Atz rite!!!
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    All depends on how you judge cooking.  I kind of like the weighted KCBS formula of appearance, taste, and tenderness/texture.
  • hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    I think the other benefit besides grill marks is reducing flare-ups.  I know when i cook chicken thighs or 80/20 burgers on my gas grill i have to watch for flare-ups.  I bought the Groupon set to hopefully reduce that.
    Cedar Park, TX
  • JKL
    JKL Posts: 20
    WOW, Thanks for all the feed back.... a good assortments of views. It just make the decision harder in the long run....LOL. Here in Ontario, good BBQ sources are hard to find. There a few around, but not many. This just drives the pricing way up. For three grillgrates, that are cut on the corners to fit a LBGE is almost $100.00 - with the usual Government taxes and such. So my debate now is - Are the really worth another $100??? HMMMMMMMM - Perplexed. 
    :-/
  • Duganboy
    That is one of the neat things about this forum there are many, many views about almost everything.

When some starts a post: What is the best way to do ______? I always think oh boy, you are going to get a lot of different answers.
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    I am also looking at the GrillGrates as a possible upgrade.  What I wonder though, is if we seer a piece of meat to keep the juices in, are the GrillGrates going to that?  Of course then that opens the door to "to seer or not to seer, that is the question".
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Duganboy
    I am also looking at the GrillGrates as a possible upgrade.  What I wonder though, is if we seer a piece of meat to keep the juices in, are the GrillGrates going to that?  Of course then that opens the door to "to seer or not to seer, that is the question".
    You will love searing on the GrillGrates.  I have a PSwoo3 with the lower ring.  I just put two of the GrillGrates on that lower ring and get a great sear down close to the lump.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Searing meat provides a number of benefits but keeping the juices in is not really one of them. Google "benefits of searing meat" & you'll find references to studies showing this is a myth (one I admittedly believed for years). Therefore to answer your question, I'd say No it won't.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA