Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Plate Setter: To Foil or Not To Foil. Again what's the consensus?

BigDougBigDoug Posts: 9
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Title says it all. Do I need to Foil the Plat Setter to keep it clean?

Comments

• Rich_ieRich_ie Posts: 268
    I use drip pans when needed, If anything gets on the plate setter the next time I make pizza it will burn off. 
  • frankie482frankie482 Posts: 256
    I always foil. Makes cleanup a breeze.
  • AdamdAdamd Posts: 160

You can foil if you want, but I would recommend using a drip pan if you think it is going to be really messy. Otherwise at the end of the cook let it go wide open and just turn the plate setter over and let it burn off all the build up.

• tnbarbqtnbarbq Posts: 248
    edited June 2012
    I don't foil but don't always use  drip pan either.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 13,791
    Use a drip pan with spacers to create an air gap above the platesetter.  Keeps accumulated liquids from scorching during the cooks.
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,887
    I foil the drip pan.  I use the useless broiling pan that comes in the bottom drawer of every oven.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• fonemanfoneman Posts: 104
    I never foil my platesetter, but do use disposable drip pans quite often.