Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first spatchcock chicken

Options
Frachlitz
Frachlitz Posts: 17
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
After a lot of research, i had to try it.

I went for a direct setup (witch i did not have), so it ended with 3 soda cans and a bottom grid from a weber :-)
I fired the egg up to 350f
Took out the chickens back, coated it in olive oil, and a home made (sugarless) rub.

Onto the egg - and took it off at 167f internal brest.

It was very good - but not a lot better than my normal on the egg.
Think i will try with more heat next time - or any suggestions?

Griller from Denmark, Europe (BigGreenEgg Large, Weber Q300, Weber Gold 57cm)

Comments

• newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Options
    I did mine at 375. Also, the skin gets more crispy if you leave it uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours before cooking.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • JKL
    JKL Posts: 20
    Options
    I want to try this, my next cook. In my opinion a BBQ'd chicken is one of the best meals going....
    Do you like the BGE Guru unit? Is it worth the $$. In Canada I have seen them only once in a store and it was $399.>>>> OUCH!!!
    Let me know.
    Cheers - The Bird looks great.
  • Frachlitz
    Frachlitz Posts: 17
    Options
    Will try at a higher temp next time.

JKL - I am VERY happy with the DigiQ - no hazzle with the temp - instead you can focus on all the other factors instead.

You could buy direct from BBQ Guru?
    Griller from Denmark, Europe (BigGreenEgg Large, Weber Q300, Weber Gold 57cm)