Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GFS Brand lump

jjbrowne1972
jjbrowne1972 Posts: 5
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
If you live in the Midwest, you may want to give the GFS (Gordon Food Service) brand of lump a try. I've heard it's made by Roya Oak, can anyone confirm? And if you've used it, what are your thoughts? Just picked up my 1st bag.

Comments

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Just checked Naked Whiz and it's not mentioned s being made by RO, but I've heard it was also.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Cannot confirm but have heard the same-used it and it sure presented like the generic RO I get at other venues. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Bought some lump from Kroger two weeks ago. An 8.8# bag was selling for $3.60. Don't know who manufactured  it, was in a brown bag with Kroger label. Bought 1 bag, tried it....went back for 10 more.
    Fairview, Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Bought some lump from Kroger two weeks ago. An 8.8# bag was selling for $3.60. Don't know who manufactured  it, was in a brown bag with Kroger label. Bought 1 bag, tried it....went back for 10 more.
    It's a generic Royal Oak lump.  I use it all the time (unless messing with the boutique stuff) and you can't beat it for the price-although I have never seen it for $3.60-usually $5.50 for same size-still good value.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Thanks lou. Kroger had there lump on sale...plus they have a 10% off program for any Kroger labeled product if you have a senior discount card....I think 60 and above. The 10% discount adds up!
    Fairview, Texas
  • Optiontrader
    Optiontrader Posts: 174
    Just bought some lump from Sam's.  It's called "Best of the West."  Bag says it's mesquite.  Nice large pieces and first cook went well. Pork butt for 8 hours.  Price was less than $9.00 for 20# bag.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I have been using GFS lump since they opened a store here in Knoxville a few months ago.  I've been very happy with it and it's my main supply now. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Kristinnn
    Kristinnn Posts: 133
    i also got this when it was on sale and it was like any other lump ive gotten.  Decent pieces like the bge bag..not as big as wicked  but def good for the price.  i only got 1 bag..thats all they had! :(
  • Airwolf
    Airwolf Posts: 76
    I have been using GFS lump since they opened a store here in Knoxville a few months ago.  I've been very happy with it and it's my main supply now. 
    I assume you mean Knoxville, TN.   I am in Maryville!  How much is the lump at GFS and what size is the bag?  I have been using Royal Oak from wal-mart to date, but might have to make a switch.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    It is a 20 lb bag for $12.99.

We have a couple of neighbors who also have Eggs and we are looking at doing an Egghead get together next month in West Knox (Westland Drive), you'll have to come.

Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Airwolf
    Airwolf Posts: 76
    It is a 20 lb bag for $12.99.

We have a couple of neighbors who also have Eggs and we are looking at doing an Egghead get together next month in West Knox (Westland Drive), you'll have to come.

Message me with the details when it gets set up.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I'm glad to hear this about GFS.  I love their store and I bought two bags last week and the first bag was AWFUL.  Maybe the second one will be better.