Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sugarless bbq

MikeG
MikeG Posts: 174
edited February 2012 in Weight Loss Forum

I'm interested in Egging sugarless in keeping with the way of eating I've adopted. 

Anyone else chasing this goal?  

Comments

• MG, You are only goin to go sugar less with your own makins,Very few rubs or marinades without sugar. Good Luck

LET'S EAT
  • MikeG

I'm not too worried about that.  I plan on using olive oil and sea salt for pork & beef, brisket etc.  I do like wings but smoke them naked then toss in Franks buffalo sauce which is just pepper and vinegar.   I'm not so puritan that I wont spritz apple juice when moisture is needed or include a couple TBS when foiling ribs.

The carmelizaton will be missing but I can live with that.    My goal for including low & slow cooking in my diet is to allow good smoke flavor to substitute for sweetness.   I've not had sugar since the new year and have grown accustomed to living without it now. 

Anyway, I'll be interested to see if any others here chase this goal out of choice or necessity.

• Here in Mexico we don't use sugar in our grill, so you can start looking for Tex-Mex or Mexican style of cooking and you will only need to watch your Blood pressure since we use more salt!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • mo egg
    mo egg Posts: 143
    Heres one i got off food networks Paula Dean she calls it house seasoning:

1 cup salt
    1/4 cup black pepper
    1/4 cup garlic powder

• MikeG, you might like Big Al's rubs. Here is the link: https://www.bigalstexasrubs.com/
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    One thing I tried instead of sugar was to add stevia powder to my rub. I wasn't using the extract, just the powdered leaf. I was concerned that the "green" flavor might get in the way, but it didn't. Not knowing what was a reasonable level of substitution, I used too much. The ribs were the sweetest flavored I've made in a long time.

The company "American Spoon" makes some very good fruit preserves that just use apple juice concentrate to up the sweetness. They're expensive, but the flavor is very good. I've used some, such as blueberry, as a base for pork sauce. Note that not all their products are sugar free.

FWIW, I saw a study that looked at average American calorie intake over a period of 50 years. I expected to see an increase in the amount of sweeteners consumed, but found that the greatest increase was in grain products. It appeared that despite the omnipresence of corn syrup in everything, the average American is getting lots more carbs from grains.

Note that a bit of salt suppresses bitterness. It doesn't take much, and brings out the natural sweetness of many foods.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    My basic cajun style rub uses no salt and no sugar.  I try to stay away from rubs that use a lot of salt.  When I make one from scratch, I use anywhere from no salt to no more than half of what is called for in the recipe.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    edited February 2012
    What I've done in past pork butt cooks is added powdered apples to the butt. I dehydrated my own apples and ground them up into a powder. Sprinkle generously all over.

You can also use Store bought apple chips and ground them up yourself, but some brands may be loaded with all kinds of extra junk. Read the labels.
  • MikeG

I've got  a book on low carb barbeque but many of the recipes contain Splenda - sometimes tablespoons of it.  Rather than introduce chemistry-set ingredients for the sake of sweetness I'd prefer to just concentrate on natural flavor alternatives such as mentioned in the replies here.

Thanks for the replies.

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I once had a coffee cake made with Splenda, one piece was enough to swear off Splenda for life.

Gerhard
  • MikeG
    Re the suggestion for Big Al's Texas rubs: I just placed an order for his Original, Hellfire and Hickory.  We'll see how they work out for me.
  • Badong
    Badong Posts: 126
    Bad Byron's Butt Rub has no sugar and tastes great.
  • TexAg87
    TexAg87 Posts: 22
    The Lil' Shag's rub on this site has no sugar, and is quite good on a brisket.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Bad Byron's Butt Rub has no sugar and tastes great.

+1 for Bad Byron's.  If i want some sugar in the mix I either use it with another rub or just add a little brown sugar.  I started on a low carb diet about 21/2 weeks ago so I have been dealing with the same issue. Really easy diet for meat lovers.  Grilled chicked, chops, steaks, veggies.  Eating like a king and dropped 15lbs since starting.

George

George