Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rate your accessories!

2»

Comments

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    edited June 2012

Just my two cents but there is no right answer.  I recommend that you start collecting recipes and trying them out and when you get into a groove of what you really like to do with your BGE you will begin to determine there are things that you would benefit from owning.  There are a few basics most have already covered like:: 

1) platesetter (indirect cooking is done by 98% of eggers and this works well)

2) thermometer (Start cheap you can always upgrade) 

3) grid extender (a extra 2" ceramic fire ring works well but you can go about as far as money can take you on grid accessories when you can get by with some fire bricks under your grid also) 

4) basic grilling tools ( obvious )

5) some king of firestarters and something to light them with (I won't start that debate)

6) Eventually a lot of cookware unless you are just going to do basic smoking and grilling.  Which can come a piece at a time (but over time can become a huge list of things you own) like cassoulets, Dutch Ovens, Roasters, Pizza Stones, bean pots, skillets, griddles, woks, tarte tatins, tagines, the list is endless.

Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Wow thanks to everyone...now should I build a table for it or do people like the nest???  No one mentioned either!
  • OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118

I like having a table.  The nest does its job but this little shelves wouldn't do.

• cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    I'm like the OP in that I just started Egging. Great ideas here. I bought the plate setter when I got the egg. So now I'm off to find some of the other things on the list. Like an electric fire starter (although I never had a problem with the BGE starter cubes). Don't know if I'll drop the coin on the Digi-q just yet. But it I investigate the website much I might pull the trigger (That's how I ended up with the BGE). No one mentioned a rib rack but that is one thing I'm going out to get. Also some fire bricks to make some spatchcock chicken tonight. As I understand the chicken is cooked direct heat with a raised grid. Great info here.
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    The towel (damp is better) under the cutting board will also prevent it from sliding around.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    The digi q is a nice "fer to have" but not necessary. Learn to control your temps manually and you'll have no worries. I've maintained 250 degrees for 16 hours with my XL with no pit controller. I love my plate setter, but I think a spider would work great too. The PS is all I know from experience. A pizza stone is a must have. I'm also planning on getting a swing grate from ceramic grillworks. My latest purchase was a cast iron skillet. I love sauteed vegies in my CI skillet.

Shop vac with Drywall bag is definitely the easiest way I've found to clean my egg.

Best advice I can give is hold off on going crazy with accessories. Start with the egg, a thermometer and a method for going indirect. Learn the egg and how you use it. Go from there.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • cortguitarman
    @ChokeOnSmoke What are you pizza troubles? It took me like 5 tries but got it mastered now. I now hate very out. Let me know what you're struggling with and I'll help you out. I've found that the dough us the #1 factor in my success.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • cortguitarman
    @cajunrph no need for raised grid on spatched chicken. Just cook it at regular grid height. Sometimes we eggheads overthink things. Believe it or not, the egg will work without accessories. ;)
    Mark Annville, PA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    i would just start with a thermapen, some fire bricks and a second grill. with the fire bricks you can raise the grill, cook raised grid direct, slpi some bricks under the grill and cook indirect, slip half as many bricks under the grill and have both a direct and indirect setup. you make better foood consistantly with the thermapen. i might add the maverick 732 down the road but i find i dont use that much anymore
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    edited June 2012

Rosle tongs
    Woo
    Thermapen
    Magnum plus pepper mill with penzeys tellicherry extra bold
    Diamond crystal Kosher salt
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    edited June 2012

1.  Ceramic Grillworks Swing Grate (this gets you cast iron and raised cooking surface in one)
    2.  Plate Setter or indirect setup
    3.  Not necessary, but nice to have - BBQ Guru temp controller
    4.  Pizza Stone
    5.  V-Rack
    5a.  Group buy on lump charcoal  :D

• cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    @courtguitarman Thanks for the info. I couldn't find an extender locally. I did make one out of bolts and another 18" grill. Will see how it goes. Thanks again. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• Thank you everyone...got a platesetter on order and am looking at the Ceramic grillworks swing grate!
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    @ TrickyRick....feel free to checkout our youtube videos, any questions please contact me.

@ joe@bge.....thanks for the recommendation.
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited June 2012
    @ChokeOnSmoke What are you pizza troubles? It took me like 5 tries but got it mastered now. I now hate very out. Let me know what you're struggling with and I'll help you out. I've found that the dough us the #1 factor in my success.
    Thanks for the offer.  My number one problem is getting the top and bottom cooked evenly.  I mostly burn the bottom.  Could very well be the fact I haven't tried making my own dough yet and have bought papa murphys crusts for $2.00 and make my own from there.  Suppose those crust aren't made for going high heat???
    If you can share your dough recipe, perhaps I'd instantly be a better pizza maker!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    I've decided that I need both a raised grid and a cast iron one. Is there a way to incorporate both in one purchase? I'm currently considering an adjustable rig combo or the two level CI swing grids. Thoughts?
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Interesting how much variety in the answers, too many cool add-ons . . I might be broke soon.

I have some toys now and would say my fav 5 are in this order:

1.) Plate Setter (for indirect - a must have)
    2.) Woo3 ring (to go "raised direct" for flames but no burn - all I use now for wings/sausage/burgers/spatchcock chickens/etc.)
    3.) Thermopen (clutch tool so you can start cooking to temp instead of cooking based off time)
    4.) LED grill flashlight (magnet sticks to egg top and snake neck points spotlighr down on meat - I use this on most all my weeknight cooks bc they can get dark!)
    5.) 16" Wok (fast, healthy option for egg . . tons of things to try/learn)

Honoray Mentions: pizza stone, stainless grid extender (for additional more grill space), weld gloves (need for wok and removing hot plate setter)

My Wish List . . . Cast Iron Dutch Oven, Maverick 732, Food Saver Vacuum, Cast Iron grill grate
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • How does everyone utilize the pizza stone?  Does this require a raise grid?  Will the Woo work here?  

I have a platesetter, and a different grate which is nice and allows more airflow.  The Maverick is nice but I think I'm ready to upgrade to the DigiQ with wifi.

• Rick1
    Rick1 Posts: 81
    For pizza I use the platesetter legs down, the the BGE standard grid then put the stone on the grid. Many put the stone on the platesetter.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Ceramic Grill Works 2-tier setup is amazing. On the XL it has a 24" lower grate and 18" upper grate.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    1) Platesetter
    2) Maverick 732 remote thermometer for low n' slows
    3) Billy Bar to keep it clean
    4) Therma Pen
    5) Rib rack...you can fit way more ribs on with one
    6) Vertical chicken rack....it works great if you don't want to spatchcock your chickens
    7) Cover....gotta keep your Egg looking good
    8) Pizza stone...pizza on the Egg is tasty
    9) Dutch oven...how can you say you bbq if you don't do BBQ beans...lol.... also Charley bread is awesome
    10) Shop vac to keep everything clean