Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger - Help with Veggies

Options
Rick1
Rick1 Posts: 81
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Had the LBGE about a month now and very happy with meats and pizza. Even did my first turkey for Father's Day. I have found this forum very helpful and sure it has helped enormously.

Now I need tips on best way to expand grill space when cooking steaks and need to cook veggies too. I looked at the folding BGE extender and thought it would be too unstable. Looked at the 3 tier extender and thought the center riser would always be in the way.

How do you experienced Eggers do meat and veggies in order to serve/finish at the same time?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    meat needs to rest, so i just toss the veggie on while the meat is off and resting
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    Or you can go HERE and find all the gear you need/want. I highly recommend the Ajustible Rig. You can give Tom a call and tell him what your looking to do and he will hook you up.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options

I looked at the folding BGE extender and thought it would be too unstable. Looked at the 3 tier extender and thought the center riser would always be in the way.

I had the same thoughts although I ended up with the 3 tier as a gift-and it's been retired since about day 3.  I use a smaller weber gird and fire bricks to create a raised grid when going vertical in the LBGE.  Works well and there are many after-market choices out there. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    I think the trick is to set up your veggies so they only need the room you have rather than tons of room all to themselves.  I do my veggies "hobo style" and they turn out great: wrap whole vadalia onions (peel them then cut them in wedges part of the way so the onion is still in one piece, then salt pepper and EVOO) in individual aluminum foil packs.  They take about 30 minutes to cook while you are cooking your meat so time accordingly.  I just throw them anywhere they will fit- usually along the edges around the meat.  I also cook corn on the cob that way (takes about 45 min), and recently did eggplant and sweet peppers (with a bit more oil, balsamic, and seasonings).  I am still getting the hang of broccoli hobo style.  You need to add a tiny bit of water to the sack. Another thing I have done with meat cooking is whole plum tomatoes.  You don't really have to do anything to them but sometimes I will salt pepper and oil them.  I cook them right on the grill and can be done direct or with the plate setter, depending on how you are cooking your meat.  Again, I just fit them in the small spaces around the meat/other veggies. 

You didn't say how big your egg is.  Mine is a large.  I guess if you have a small it would be more of a jigsaw puzzle but you could do it, I think.

Hope that helps!!  
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    Options
    You could also do the veggies that will hold (I.E. corn, potatoes) before the meat, and the veggies that cook fast while the meat is resting.
  • Rick1
    Options
    Thanks for all the good suggestions. It just seems the large egg isn't very large when you start putting a couple of things on it. Looks I might need to go up.

Wife prefers grilled veggies over the foil idea so I'm thinking the half moon perforated pan from BGE might work. Anyone have thoughts on the half moon perforated pan?

I also saw a half moon raised grill with drip pan for the large BGE and was thinking about that as well.

Rick
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    believe it or not the veggies do get carmelized and grilled in the foil pack.  Before I had an egg I would have agreed with your wife but not anymore
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Options

I have an xl and am thinking about buying the perforated half moon as well as the half moon raised grid and drip pan, I have been putting lump in only half of the egg so half is indirect and it does a fantastic job on the veggies, but I am loosing half the egg just for the veggies, so I hope if I get that raised half moon I can pop the perforated half moon on top of it with the veggies for indirect and then have a full grid below for all my lovley meat. 

Thats the plan anyways.

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I have a long skewer-type thing made of woven wire with a loop at one end and a skewer at the other. You thread the vegetables on it and it conforms to unused nooks and crannies of the grill. It's also great on the mini; I just coil it around. I got it this year, so I know it's still available. I don't know the name of it or who made it, though.  
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Found them on Amazon.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Rick1
    Options
    Good stuff here. I think I'm going to try the foil and the flexible skewers. I saw the flexible skewers recently at Cost Plus World Market but don't remember the price.

Thanks to all!
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Options
    instead of adding water---I add a couple of ice cubes--easier to handle
  • Rick1
    Options
    Did the veggies in foil tonight. Mushrooms, asparagus, green peppers and zucchini. Tossed them in EVOO and lightly salted with sea salt, then 13 minutes at 350. Fabulous!

Thanks for the tip BOOKSW.