Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any near Raleigh, NC?

nozob1
nozob1 Posts: 43
edited June 2012 in EGGtoberfest
Are there any EggFests 2012 close to Raleigh, NC?

B

Comments

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Winston Salem August 25th 2012. Google nc eggfest for more info. Hope to see you there
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    I'm a newish egger in Raleigh as well and was noticing that Raleigh is not represented at all in terms of Eggfests. I am considering the Winston Salem one as I have never been to one before.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    WS Eggfest will be my first as well. Looking forward to it.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Dudes, and dudettes.  The best chance of Raleigh ever getting an Eggfest is probably if Firehouse Casual Living on Capital Blvd holds one.  Things have looked bleak at times and things have looked rosy at times.  If you are interested, I'd contact them and show your support for one, and also to volunteer to assist if needed.  They know I would like one and would help.
    The Naked Whiz
  • nozob1
    Good idea!  Thanks all!  I heard that the one in GA was in May. I will check with Fireshouse as well.  Naked Whiz, are you near Raleigh?
  • Is is possible to have an Eggfest event absent a dealer trying to sell Big Green Eggs?  Thinking outside the box.  Of the many things I enjoy, cooking on my Big Green Egg and tailgating at East Carolina University Football games stand out.  Most of the food served out our tailgate is prepared on the Big Green Egg and transported from Raleigh to Greenville.  Sometimes the food is reheated/warmed via a gas grill (I understand this might offend some purist but we must work with the tools provided) but most of the time warming/reheating is not required. 

With this, should we eggheads in the Raleigh, NC (Triangle Area) area try to establish some quasi eggfest?  My thoughts are that this quasi eggfest be based upon the tailgate approach.  Food should be prepared off site on your Big Green Egg and brought to a selected tailgate location.  We can either select one dish for everyone to prepare and share or have the cooks select their dish to prepare and share.  Both options have benefits.  If the same dish is prepared and shared, then each cook would be able to compare and contrast their dish and hopefully provide insight and knowledge to those trying to improve their skills.  The preparation and sharing of the cook choice dish would demonstrate the vast capabilities of the egg and options avaiable. 

There are a lot of challenges that would have to be championed to pull this off, but I am sure if a core group is established this event could be great.  What are your thoughts?

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    edited June 2012
    Eggheads have held their own "mini-fests", which involve them bringing their Eggs to a specified location, and cooking in a fest-like atmosphere.  If you cook off-site and bring it, then you're essentially having a pot-luck dinner, and lose a lot of the mood you get, from cooking around each other all day.

That being said, if there was a sponsored Eggfest in Raleigh, I'd probably drive down from central Virginia to cook for it. It's only a three hour drive for me.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    glad to see central NC represented on this forum....we live in Winston-Salem and will be at the eggfest...look forward to the old east (mustard base) versus west (catsup based - Lexington style) BBQ sauce debate on here sometime

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• The Naked Whiz
    nozob1, yep.  I live just off Falls of the Neuse south of Spring Forest.

Rivah Pirate, I think an event where food is cooked at home and brought to an Egg pot luck would be pretty uninteresting.  An Eggfest is all about cooking, sampling, sharing techniques.  While you don't need a dealer involved, I think you really need some Eggs on site with people cooking on them.
    The Naked Whiz
  • MDHog
    MDHog Posts: 43
    Chapel Hill egger here, Since we are having a role call for the triangle. 

• ncsufan24
    ncsufan24 Posts: 2
    Raleigh here. 
  • lakebndegg
    lakebndegg Posts: 28
    Raleigh egger here
  • JohnMc
    JohnMc Posts: 76
  • nozob1
    Live near Rte 70/401 Split in Raleigh.

Beginner Eggers here...not even soft boiled.  :)  We would not be cooking at Eggfest...not for a while... just be looking and asking a LOT of questions.

Naked Whiz:  WOW! I am thrilled that you are in Raleigh!  LOVE, LOVE your website!!  You are like a BGE GOD to us!  Just sent you a "like" and shared your site on FB wall.
  • ncbbq
    Agreed. Naked Whiz's site has been very helpful to me as well. It is neat that you live in Raleigh. Small world.
  • The Naked Whiz
    nozob1, anyone can cook at a fest, regardless of skill level.  It's not all about impressing people, although some of the cooks are pretty impressive.  I was at one fest and a guy just baked refrigerator biscuits and heated up some precooked Eggs.  Hey, the breakfast options were limited, and it was great to have biscuit with this guy.

The Naked Whiz
  • Naked Whiz  Live north of you near Falls of Neuse and Litchford.  Have you found any BBQ places in our area worthy of your recommendation? 

• nozob1
    Anyone here going to Winston Salem in August for Eggfest?
  • The Naked Whiz
    RivahPirate, all the good places close, lol!  My wife doesn't particularly like BBQ, so I am limited to usually whatever I can sneak into the house for the Super Bowl, etc.  Yes, she is worth it.....
    The Naked Whiz
  • Naked Whiz, I must have married your wife's sister.  My wife does not like BBQ either.  I am limited to what I prepare and what I can arrange to be picked up from Ken's in LaGrange.  There are somedays that a great BBQ sandwhich is required. 
  • ncbbq
    edited June 2012
    RivahPirate,

You should try the Pit in downtown Raleigh and take your wife as they have other dishes that aren't bbq. The bbq is good eastern NC style whole hog and you can get it chopped or pulled. It is kind of neat because it is a bbq joint with a fine dining atmosphere. You should check it out if you haven't.

Another BBQ joint I like is in between Rolesville and Raleigh on Hwy 401 and is called Big Al's BBQ. It is good pork bbq but it is a little different than eastern style in a good way. He also has brisket, ribs, chicken and turkey. Big Al started with a food truck that he would park around Rolesville and Wake Forest and opened up that restaurant at the beginning of this year.

The pit has those big whole hog pit cookers like you see people tailgating with in their kitchen and uses charcoal. Big Al uses a commercial kitchen smoker and real wood for a smokey flavor. I like them both.

You can google them and bring up menus if you are interested.

By the way my wife does not like what we NC folk call BBQ either. But she likes Big Al's pork BBQ and brisket and likes the brisket at The Pit.

If only someone would open a restaurant using Green Eggs in the area, that would be awesome.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    glad to hear the naked whiz lives in NC....love your website and your recipes.....they have made getting started with the egg a lot easier and tastier!!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• NCBBQ:

Have visted the Pit a couple of times, must admit was not impressed.  Have been planning to visit Big Als, maybe this weekend for lunch.  Have you been to Cooper's in Downtown Raleigh?  Would like to give that place a try.  Thank you for the recommendations. 

• Billy Grill Eggster
    Billy Grill Eggster Posts: 404
    edited June 2012
    Would go to FH on Capital  Blvd in Raleigh for a Fest. I've done a Demo cook out here in Wilson for the local dealer.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• ncbbq
    I have heard that about the Pit. Some people really like it and some people not so much. To each their own I guess. Definitely give Big Al's a try though, totally different BBQ, vibe and everything. He does a good job.

Looks like Billy_Grill is from Wilson. One of my favorite BBQ joints, Bill Ellis BBQ, is out his way. If I go to an ECU game we usually try to stop by on the way.
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    I live in Greenville and work in Wilson. Bill Ellis is decent but the real deal BBQ is B's BBQ in Greenville. Just my opinion though.
  • ncbbq
    B's is good. I just don't get that way very often.

RivahPirate: I have been to Cooper's and it is decent. That's one that I was not that impressed with but others like it. All a matter of preference I guess. Definitely worth a try to see if you like it though. They have been around a long time.

• Has anyone tried Route 1 BBQ in Wake Forest?

• nozob1
    We do not care for the Pit that much, tasty but not smoky enough for us, but heard great things abt Al's!
  • ReconJack
    ReconJack Posts: 1
    Love all of this triangle representation. We even have a BGE celebrity! I'm near 5 points in Raleigh and have recently discovered the BGE. I've never seen one used or eaten anything off of one but everything I've read tells me this is the grill for me. I'm pretty sure I'm going to save up for the XL.

I'd love to see them in action and try some of the food so I was thinking about heading out to the WS eggfest. Can somebody explain what happens at eggfest. Are there competitions? Just a bunch of guys hanging out and grilling? Basically, I need to know how convince some buddies to make the 4 hour round trip with me.