Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Twin Cities area source for good Brisket and Butt (found frozen, is that typical?)

Options
lemonade
lemonade Posts: 93
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello,  I'm looking for a good source for the above.  I've hit Von Hansons but their brisket was frozen.  Where should I look for fresh items, or do people buy it frozen typically? 
Is it done yet? Is it done yet?

Comments

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    Here up north, packer briskets are somewhat hard to find. In Madison, I found two sources. One frozen, where I had to call ahead for pickup, and one unfrozen, still packaged. Try googling for a source in your area.

As for butts, I've had no problem getting them. Costco, various butchers, no problem. You may see them labeled as pork shoulders...

Being in the twin cities, well, they frown upon anything called Packer...
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I live just north in Big Lake. I go to T&R meats in Clearwater. Very old school but I get choice cut shoulders for $1.60/ lb never frozen/ no solution added. I also get full packers. When I buy a big order ($300+), I will get it frozen.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    Pork butts can be found @ Cub, Jerry's, Von Hansens, Costco.  I was trying to find a full packer and had no luck, flats seem to be the only thing that is readily available, Costco always has a large selection of the flats.
    Edina, MN

• troutgeek
    Options
    If your flats are anything like Madison's Costco flats, they tend to be small. A large one at our Costco is about 6 lbs, but at least they are choice.
  • Elmer Fudd
    Elmer Fudd Posts: 65
    Options
    Just picked up a 9.5 pounder at Von Hansons meat. They keep them in the back and not frozen Shop vacced the egg almost like new, fresh lump. Just trying to figure out how many hours to anticipate dinner time tomorrow. I have the Maverick and will cook to temp.

Elmer Fudd
    Minneapolis / St. Paul. Large & Mini
  • troutgeek
    Options
    Could be 18, but will probably be 14. As you already mentioned, cook till temp. You could crutch it at plateau, and get it done in less time.