Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ozark Oak Users-does it impart much flavor or is it pretty benign?

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,478
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just picked up a load of Ozark Oak from the boutique lump supplier (my Father's Day gift to me).  Have lots of run-time with generic Royal Oak so have a handle on the flavor it imparts-does Ozark Oak behave about the same or give a more smokey flavor?  Appreciate any insights-and yes I read TNW's review.
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    From my experience it has a little bit stronger flavor, but not much. It's seems to me to be a different flavor as opposed to more or less smokey. I really like Ozark Oak, I was very sad the last time I went to get some and my supplier was sold out. Let us know what you think of it please.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,478
    Options
    Thanks Brownie and I will be sure to pass on my assessment.  First go is Father's Day (a theme here?) with a slow roasted prime (okay actually choice...) rib- with some Jack Daniels chips along for the ride. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    Will want to hear before.  Have been wanting to try some.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I got a couple of bags several years ago. It did have a definite oak flavour, which is perfect for beef. Too expensive here to get regularly.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BigTex33
    BigTex33 Posts: 40
    Options
    I got a couple of bags several years ago. It did have a definite oak flavour, which is perfect for beef. Too expensive here to get regularly.
    I love Ozark Oak.  Mine is about $8 per 10 lb. bag here in Dallas.