Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time owner new mini, the elusive 10" grate

Options
SkinnyV
SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Picked up my Mini Egg on Saturday, I have to say posters like Mickey and others showing creative ways to use the mini sold me on giving it a try. I must say I was pretty suprised that the dealers I spoke with didnt understand why I wanted a mini as my first egg and really undersold the product. I mentioned the forum and how people were using them creative ways. Anyway I was hoping I would get the latest new version and it appears I did all except for the grid. I got the 9.5" stainless grid.
I want to thank Mickey for taking my call as I was trying to decipher if I had the latest version and what I was missing. So after confusing my dealer in asking for 10" grid I called into Greenegg today and they said they have no 10" grids in stock and it will be a while if they ever do again. I was told the porcelain is 9 3/4" of an inch and he could help me with that as its a better fit that the stainless version anyway.
So i guess my question is what am I to do if I do in fact want a woo. Are older woo's available that would work with the older grids? Do both the older grids work with the older woo? Mickey I may need to track down the dealer you mentioned having a few available, but the customer rep I spoke with said have him lay a tape to the grid because he does not think they are out there.

I have not used the egg yet just put it together, only reason I want one is to do all the cooking methods (wok, pizza, cast iron pan). The mini should be adequate for my family which is wife and 2 very little ones. My other smoker is a terracotta pot smoker i made last year which serves me just fine (butts, ribs, jerky,pastrami) so i didnt want another big grill with that and a weber performer.

Thanks.
Seattle, WA

Comments

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I just went through all this but did end up with a 10-inch porcelain. During my go-rounds, I used small binder clips to attach the grill to the mini-woo. Unlike wire binding the two together, the clips come off easily. You still get a bit of a slide, but it's contained. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    You have me confused. The BGE website even says 10in. My grill is 10in stainless. I thought the other was the older model. Certainly hope it works out and I am sure others more experienced will chime in.
  • SkinnyV
    edited June 2012
    Options
    You have me confused. The BGE website even says 10in. My grill is 10in stainless. I thought the other was the older model. Certainly hope it works out and I am sure others more experienced will chime in.
     I have a 9.5 " stainless that came with my model. Talking to Mickey and pretty much confirmed from the rep without him saying, it appears they made some 10" ran out and began tossing in the 9.5 " stainless since they had em on hand. This 9.5 differs from the 10" ive seen in size and the slots are cut back rather than run full length.

Seattle, WA
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Newport...yes,no and maybe about mini grates.. You are not confused BGE is.  I have 1 9.5 in grate that came with the mini and two 10 inch grates.  One, a SS Tom sent me and one, ceramic, came from BGE after a long wait ( I think the one from BGE was shear luck).  
    Skinny V 
    Call Bob at BBQ Outfitters here in Austin and see if they have any 10 inch grates.  They sell a lot of minis so they may have one, also call Tom at Ceramic Grill Store.  
    BTW the 9.5 will work with the woo, it just sits on top of the woo.  Won't be a problem unless it move forward...then you can't close the lid. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

I had the dealer in Salado order a bunch and then forgot to have them take out to the Salado Fest last March. SO if you call them, they have in stock the 10", Tell them Mickey said to call so I don't feel bad for having them order so many and forgetting them.

Call 254.947.4008

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Newportlocal
    Options
    Interesting. The dealer had one set up probably demo I didn't care I measured the grate before I bought it. Got lucky. I love the mini woo. I like that it is raised a little and it let's me fill the fire box a little higher when I want to. I see what you are saying about the bars being cut off on the grate mine go all the way across so it locks in to the woo. Thanks for the clarification. Very cool that Mickey knew where to get one. I am sure this situation will repeat with others. Sure that dealer will sell them. Bet he gets a lot of calls now.
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    Sounds good, its a couple extra bucks I guess. This is an expensive toy (wok, stones, mini woo) but I've taken the first step and that's the egg, My terracotta pot smoker cost $80 or so.
    I never really contemplated a mini until this forum and posts then spent 2 weeks wanting the mini. Hope to use it often and maybe picnics at the beach with the family.
    Seattle, WA
  • Newportlocal
    Options
    I use it almost daily. Just made blue cheese stuffed filet mignon with basalmic reduction,shrimp on rosemary skewers, and horseradish mashed potatoes last night and the wife was pleased. That and sake in a water bath with iced sapporo beer and she was very happy. I make hot dogs almost daily for the family the kids love them. The flavor/taste from the egg is fantasic.Long after you have forgotten the expense you will still be enjoying it.
  • SkinnyV
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I was quoted $50 for the grate shipped. That plus the woo would be $100 + for what reads like a 1.75 inch gain in height. I may try to come up with a mod, so the grate I have can sit on the new woo just not the fit that was intended?
    I am dissapointed my grand plan of mini and toys has stalled over the headquarters not having the same grate standard for new mini's. Something tells me the mini woos for the new grate are not going to be flying off shelves since so few grates may be out there.

Seattle, WA
  • Mickey
    Options

Look at it this way. If (big if) Egg mailed you a 10" the shipping is $16.00. So you are paying only $34 more if you got it free from Egg with shipping, and if not free with shipping about the same. Get the Woo and 10" now and enjoy it. Oh, and the wok (will use the Woo for it) and the 9.5 griddle (will use the Woo for it as well). Yes, lots of toys. But fun toys and cheaper than crack.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    As to the slots or no slots. Just tell Tom when you order the Woo and he will send you the correct one.

• Newportlocal
    Options
    I know right after the purchase it can be a little tight, but shortly after I got a mini woo and a pair of 4444 pizza stones. Glad I have the right grill and mini woo. $100 would be worth it for the greater enjoyment.