Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going gasket-less

Options
tmas
tmas Posts: 35
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've fried my gasket and while I wait for my new gasket to arrive, how do I cook gasket-less?  I am going to scrap off the old gasket, anything else I need to know or do?

Thanks!
XL BGE Katy, TX (otherwise known as Far West Houston)

Comments

• Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    Options
    Just be a touch more careful when closing the lid.

I have not used a gasket since about the 3-4th day after I bought my egg since it fried off. I don't notice any problems with it and my fire goes out quick when you close the vents. I don't think you will have any problems. I would not worry about it. However I have left whatever gasket is left on mine I did not remove it. I would maybe wait until your new gasket comes in before you do a full gasket removal.
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Options
    The only problem with not having a gasket is the same as having a fried gasket - it doesn't provide a seal and if you're smoking something the smoke will escape through the closure.  But I don't think that's a big problem unless you just can't stand for smoke to be coming our anywhere but from the top.  I suppose that not having one could allow air into the dome and affect the temperature but as long as you are watching your thermometer and adjusting the vents accordingly, it shouldn't make too much difference.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Dont do anything different. Just cook your food and forget all about the gasket.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Alligator
    Alligator Posts: 35
    Options
    My gasket got fried when cooking a pizza at about 700-800 degrees.  A couple weeks later I smoked a tri-tip using some apple wood chunks.  I only saw smoke coming out of the multi-function metal top (daisy wheel).  I have been running gasket-less until I figure there is a benefit to put a new one?
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    My gasket's been fried since the first time I cooked on it almost a year ago. Never had an issue and I do a wide variety of cooks.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Options
    I fried my gasket within a couple of weeks after I got the BGE - ordered a Nomex High Heat gasket and installed it - did a clean burn to clean up a plate setter last week - Nomex may make a "high heat" gasket but "high heat" doesn't include about 800 degrees doing a clean burn - now I've got smoke coming out the closure - I've decided it's no big deal - COOK ON !!!!!
  • MeAndTheDog
    Options
    Damn, I'm about to go torch mine! I'm feeling kinda left out
    Conway, S.C.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    What's a gasket? I'd leave the remains of it on until your new one comes. I've got a replacement floating around somewhere.....maybe some day I'll even put it on the Egg.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Dont do anything different. Just cook your food and forget all about the gasket.

Do what he said :ar!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gtk10583
    gtk10583 Posts: 77
    Options
    Gasket?  What gasket?  We ain't got no gasket.  WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' GASKET!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It still cooks without a gasket.  That said, if you're smoking, the more carbon monoxide you can keep in the grill, the bigger the smoke ring in the meet, and the gasket definitely helps there.
    Options
    Funny, Mine cooks fine without a gasket, but seems there are issues if we run out of Chef Lubricant
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @tazcrash-Somehow I figured while the gasket was a "waiting to fail given" Chef Lubricant" could be reasonably anticipated and overly compensated for on the front-end of the cook.  Of course, if the cook runs long then there could be supply chain issues but better to have a 200% reserve, just in case :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    @tazcrash-Somehow I figured while the gasket was a "waiting to fail given" Chef Lubricant" could be reasonably anticipated and overly compensated for on the front-end of the cook.  Of course, if the cook runs long then there could be supply chain issues but better to have a 200% reserve, just in case :)>-
    Got it. go easy on Chef lube early, apply more liberally as cook progress, and ALWAYS make sure there is a reserve for extra long stalls! 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • uncledave
    uncledave Posts: 90
    Options
    I went 6 months gasketless. No Problems. Put on a new Hi-que gasket. I think I use less lump now. It kills the fire faster when done.
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Options
    I went 6 months gasketless. No Problems. Put on a new Hi-que gasket. I think I use less lump now. It kills the fire faster when done.
    That is what I noticed. However I think my egg cooks the same but takes a fair bit longer to put out. The extra lump usage is from no gasket.