Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Burgers

FuzzyK
FuzzyK Posts: 31
edited June 2012 in Cookbook
Here is a healthier alternative to traditional beef burgers on the BGE.  Although many people try to make their Turkey Burgers mimic the flavors of our familiar beef friend, we're going to take the opposite approach.  Our hope is to create an asian-inspired turkey burger that is so delicious, you simply forget about it's rival.

Check out my YouTube video (link below)...and check back as I continue to add more cooking videos with my Big Green Egg on this channel!

Comments

• demo
    demo Posts: 163
    I like to top mine with cheddar cheese slices and super thin slices of granny smith apples.
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Good job Fuzzy! I too like the turkey burgers! Will give this one a whirl! Cavenders greek seasoning is also really good on turkey burgers with a little smoke! Good stuff!

http://www.amazon.com/Cavenders-Purpose-Greek-Seasoning-3-25/dp/B0005ZVON2
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • FuzzyK
    @demo - I'll keep that in mind the next time we make these... a Granny Smith topping actually sound's really good!

@NightwingXP - Thanks for the heads up on the Cavenders greek seasoning.  Definitely going to give that try as well!

Thanks for stopping by!
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    I buy seasoned turkey burgers from Whole Foods and Fresh Market.  They are outstanding.  Fresh Market has one they call turkey ceasear, Whole Foods has a Steak House turkey burger that is even better.  Highly Recommended.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Cooks Illustrated magazine has a turkey burger recipe in it this month; I haven't tried it yet, but they ground a fresh thigh. Also they put ground up mushrooms and chicken broth. I will try it and report back. Usually they are pretty spot on for good recipes.
  • FuzzyK
    @burr_baby33- Love some Fresh Market and Whole Foods...but I don't have one closer than 30 minutes away.  I'm definitely going to try those turkey burgers the next time I pass one, though... thanks for the heads up!

@BYS1981-  Ground fresh thigh!?!? That sounds ridiculous.  Let me know how that goes...I'm salivating
  • gfavor
    gfavor Posts: 74
    Fuzzy, I used your recipe, and video, for our turkey burgers tonight. I've always resisted cooking turkey burgers for fear of drying it out. It all turned out great. A Keeper !!!! Thanks.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    We usually do turkey burgers in my house. Thanks for another recipe. Nice video
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    There is a place here in town that does a smokin granny- smoked turkey, Granny Smith apples and havarti cheese- great sandwich and could be adapted to this turkey burger.
    Greensboro, NC
  • FuzzyK
    @gfavor - Thanks for the kudos!  We really like this recipe...and there's something about honey/teriyaki that just seems to work with turkey.  Let me know if you make any tweaks along the way... I'm always looking for improvements!

@Chubbs - Turkey is a great alternative.  We do Turkey most of the time...but do switch it up with Bison (using salt and pepper and no marinade) from time-to-time.  Thanks for the compliment on the video...this is an early one...but my channel has plenty more with a better camera.

@Wolfpack - That sounds incredible.  Where are you from?  I may need to make a trip to try this.  The thought of this sandwich is making my mouth water.