Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke Ring?

War_Eagle_2244
War_Eagle_2244 Posts: 122
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Any tips you guys can give on getting a better smoke ring?  I did some baby backs yesterday with BGE lump  & Hickory/Apple chunks that I soaked overnight.  The ribs were on the grill for about 5 hours and there was hardly any smoke ring.  Alos did a butt for about 16 hours with the same result.  Pic of the ribs is attached.  TIA 

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Dont let the meat warm up before going on. That seems to be the culprit most times.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    stike nailed it.  Have your meat as cold as possible when it goes on as it will only take smoke to 145*.  Therefore, the colder the meat when it starts, the bigger the window to take smoke.  Also, I have found that cherry wood tends to form a more vivid smoke ring.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Interesting...I will have to try that next time.  I had them sitting on the kitchen table for a good hour before they went on the Egg, 
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Is it possible that by soaking the wood so long that there was more steam than smoke?  Just a thought.  I don't soak wood chunks.

Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    @ War_Eagle.  Soaking the wood is a waste of time.  I'm pretty sure that the Whiz has a study on his site that proves this through science, but I can tell you through many hours and cooks that it does nothing but delay good smoke early in the cook where you want it.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited June 2012
    when you soak, you need to drive off the water so that it will smolder.  as you said, you're delaying the smoke.

since the smoke ring only forms up to around 140 (surface temp, where the smoke ring is), the longer you delay the start of smoke, the warmer the meat, and smaller the window.  tha'ts the logic behind the cold meat vs. warm meat idea too.

keep in mind that meat will 'take' smoke whenever smoke is present.  beginning, middle, end.  the smoke ring is unrelated to the smoke flavor.

as for soaking/not-soaking.  in most cookers (gassers especially) you need to soak, or your chips will burn (actual flames) quickly, and flare up.

you can't get woodchips/chunks/twigs to burst into flame in the egg because it is airtight.  once the air comes in thru the vent, up thru the burning lump, there's no extra oxygen (or very little).it's been consumed.  and so anything flammable on top will simply smolder when in contact with the coals, even though they are 1000+ degrees.

if you are running at moderate to higher temps, they'll burst into flame when you open the lid, like fat will (flare ups) or like a flashback can. but only when they get a gulp of fresh air to fuel their burning.  shut the dome and flare-ups, wood chunks/chips, flare up, will go out. 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante