Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby back ribs question

Options
Eller
Eller Posts: 56
edited June 2012 in Pork

I finished up a cook tonight and need I need some advice. I did baby back ribs the following way: Removed membrane, added yellow mustard and Famous Daves rib rub.  Started  2.5 hours at 250 degrees on v rack, then wrapped them in foil with a few tablespoons  of apple juice and worchestshire sauce. Continued at 250 degrees in foil for 1 more hour. Lastly, I unwrapped them and sauced them. I went 1 more hour. Also the drip pan had apple juice in it.

Results: The ribs tasted great but I feel they could have been a bit more tender. The top meaty part of the ribs were tender, but the meat could have come of the bones a bit easier. Please help me tweak this method.

Comments

• brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99
    Options

What your saying is they were overcooked.  try 4 hours nxt time.  I do the same thing... Overcook

My last back rib cook was very similar to that - I wrapped after 2 hrs and left on for 2-1/2 - let egg rise to 300 for last hour They were very good, but a little overcooked.  I will go 4 hrs max next time.

• JayHawkEye
    JayHawkEye Posts: 196
    Options
    I doubt they were overcooked. If you want them to be "fall-off-the-bone" tender you're gonna have to leave them on longer. When did you do the bend test, and how did they respond?
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • Eller
    Eller Posts: 56
    Options
    I did the bend test when I unfoiled them. They almost bent in half. Also the meat did not rereat much from the bone.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Sounds to me (only a few racks under the belt, hopefully one of the sages can chime in) like you needed to leave it on the foil a bit longer.
    The steam in foil step is what makes the meat that soft.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    A tough rib is undercooked...
  • tazcrash
    edited June 2012
    Options
    A tough rib is undercooked...
    Same with Pork Butt, shoulder, Beef chuck roasts. 
    Very unlike traditional cuts of meat.
    You need to leave it on longer to render those connective tissues, and make tender juicy yumminess.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options

+1 with the undercooked.  There are about as many ways to cook ribs as there are posters here.  Keep track of this cook and adjust for the next one.  Experiment til you find the X-X-X method you enjoy. 

Here are a few links for recipes:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm (This site is a great primer for all things ceramic-an excellent reference.)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    MQ nailed it.  a tough dry rib is actually undercooked.  you need to kill it to death, then kill it some more.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    Fall-off-the-bone is overcooked.  Tough meat is undercooked.  The hunt for he perfect rib is why we keep firing up the egg.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • JayHawkEye
    JayHawkEye Posts: 196
    Options

Another thing to keep in mind is that not all cuts of meat are created equal. I tough rack of ribs could have compounded the issue.

(Fall-off-the-bone is overcooked in the eyes of competition teams and judges. I would wager that well more than half of the people out there like their ribs that tender. If that's the way that you or the people you cook for want them go ahead and "overcook" them.)

"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • tazcrash
    Options
    I like to be able to pick up the meat while on the bone, but I my eaten pile of rib bones to look like that poor pig was lost in the desert a few years ago. 
    :D

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Can you get to fall off the bone tender without foiling for part of the cook?  i.e. what about just cooking a few hours, saucing, cooking another hour, and then remove from egg, foil, stick in a cooler for an hour?

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i accidentally put some spares on when i put a butt on for an overnight (wish i could blame it on beer).  8 or 9 hours later i had ribs for breakfast,  they were JUST short of falling off the bone.  i didn't meant to cook them that long, but there you go.

they were pretty damn good, to tell you the truth. i don't mind bone that pulls out easily from the rib meat.  i like them to hold together when i lift them, but a little pull-apart is fine with me.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    @njl absolutely.  I typically just apply my dry rub, toss 'em on the egg, let them bake for 5 or 6 hours @ 250 dome, and enjoy.  Best ribs I've ever had.   Keep in mind, if you keep opening your egg for whatever reason, you are adding to you cook time as the air comes back to temp.
    Pentwater, MI
  • brian4206
    brian4206 Posts: 19
    Options
    Foiling is not necessary. I have only done a few racks and haven't foiled any of them. They were very tender and juicy, and just about fall off the bone every time.