Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Cajun Turkey

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

I've had this 18.5 lb turkey that I got for free last November taking up way too much room in my freezer, so this weekend was finally the time to get rid of it.
I started out brining it for 24 hours.

Then injected it with Tony Chachere's Jalapeno Butter.

Then it was rubbed down with Dizzy Pig's Swamp Venom and placed on the Egg at 350 with some cherry wood.

Some friends came over and brough some jalapeno cheese venison sausage and some boudin.

I think it cooked for about 4 hours and 45 minutes...not sure I blame the Turkey....the Wild Turkey for making those details a bit hazy.

I just know we were hungry.

This may have been my best turkey to date. Gotta say...the brine really does help, although some credit has to go to the Egg. We also had some of Mrs. G's dressing and some red beans and rice to go with it, but we didn't get any plated up pics. Sorry about that.

More pics and details can be found on my blog.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    looks real niccccccce!  Full turkey is next on my list.  Quick question . . . did you keep the turkey in that bag during the brine?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Griffin
    Options
    The turkey was not in a bag at all. Maybe you are seeing a bag in the first pic? That is just a zip lock bag filled with water to weifh it down and help keep the turkey submerged.

Rowlett, Texas

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options

Yeah that what I was looking at - makes sense now.  I just read all the details on your blog, thanks for posting.

PS I just got that Argentina Rub from Williams Sonoma (you mentioned it in previous posts) over the weekend and did a skirt steak last night with it, great flavor.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Griffin
    Options
    Oh yeah, that stuff does have good flavoring. Glad they are still selling it, it seemed to disappear awhile ago and wasn't on their site or anything. Haven't used it anwhile.

Rowlett, Texas

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    Hey Griff,
    How was the Boudin with the cherry smoke?  I've got some in the freezer I need to cook.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Griffin
    Options
    Ya know towards the end of the cook when we threw them on, there just wasn't that much smoke coming off, so I didn't notice any smoke flavor to them.

Rowlett, Texas