Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Brisket!

Options
Scott805
Scott805 Posts: 349
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Been cooking on the BGE for about six months.  Bought a choice beef brisket/flat cut bnls that weighs about three pounds.  Thought I would start small and not waste.  Any recommendations for marinade/rub, time, grill temp & meat temp.  Appreciate any responses from the master eggers out there?

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    edited June 2012
    Options

No pretenses of being a master egger but have wrestled with many brisket flats (can't find packers).  Marinade/rub-check the following links along with all the info you will need for this cook-

Okay-not from Te<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />xas and generally only have access to flats which I cook on a LBGE about once every 4-6 weeks. They run 5-8#'s and I see around 1.8-2.1 hrs/# at a calibrated dome of 250*F +/-. I use chips which I disperse throughout the lump load. Wood type, I use cherry but to each his own.
    Smoke ring is a function of smoke and time for meat to clear 140*F. After it passes the twisted fork tender test or probe slides in and out like butter in the thickest part of the flat (somewhere around 190-205*F +/-) I do wrap in HDAF and will rest in a cooler (with towels) for at least an hour. Then open the foil and let the brisket cool for a few minutes  before slicing. Only slice (against the grain) when ready to eat.  Flats are tricky-as the window for a home-run is quite narrow-but even a single or double is worth the adventure.
    Check these sites out;

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
    http://www.bubbatim.com/

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html
    All the info you will ever need. Enjoy the journey-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Don't get discourages if the 3lber does not work out. I can never get the small ones (especially if it's been trimmed) to get tender before they dry out. The smaller they are, the harder the are to get right, believe it or not. So you just signed up for Trig when you thought it was algebra 1!

Honestly, I would do it Travis' way for your first one. It will be awesome and it will be a guaranteed great meal. It will turn a difficult cook into a guaranteed winner.

Just adjust the times down to your smaller brisket

My 2 cents

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Scott805
    Options
    Thanks!  Great reads.

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• Scott805
    Options
    Well, brisket is on the bge.  Using Travis' method.  My first attempt at a picture!

Dallas, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cool. I think you will really enjoy it and it's a great way to cook any brisket but does very well on the smaller ones.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Well, brisket is on the bge.  Using Travis' method.  My first attempt at a picture!

You may want to "cheat" and inject it with some stock and butter when it is in the plateau. Flats are a tough cook as CTS says

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

You may want to "cheat" and inject it with some stock and butter when it is in the plateau. Flats are a tough cook as CTS says
    Although I am a huge fan of stock and butter, I think the braising liquid that he is using in the pan should keep it moist
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Sorry, I did not read Travis's method

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    CTS thanks for keeping the link.......I wanted to bookmark last time and totally forgot. Big thanks to Travis for sharing. Will try this sometime soon.

@Scott805 How you makin out? Anticipation's a **** on first cooks, some of the best advice given to me from the folks here is to relax and let the egg work its magic.
    ;)
  • Scott805
    Options
    Hit plateau at 170 for about two hours.  Raised temp to 310 and is now moving to 191.  Been on almost five hours now.  And believe it or not, I have not peaked!

Dallas, TX

• Scott805
    Options
    What is the best way to test for tenderness?

Dallas, TX

• JoeA
    JoeA Posts: 31
    Options
    Did a 4 pound choice flat last weekend.  Great flavor but extremely dry, wouldn't even slice just fell apart.  Kinda stuck @ 175-180 internal with 250 dome after 8 hours.  Ends were completely over cooked.  In retrospect after smoking for a while I would cook in covered tray shorter time.  Good luck!!!!
  • lousubcap
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Take an analog thermo or some other probe and insert into the thickest part of the flat-in and out like butter and you are there.  Just don't slice til ready to eat as it will dry out very fast-and slice against the grain.  Enjoy this journey-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Scott805
    Options
    Well, hit 205 meat temp, and checked for tenderness.  Used thermapen and temp read 195 in thickest part. Will continue to cook.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.  This is awesome.  By the way, it is beer drinking time and OU girls softball!

Dallas, TX

• lousubcap
    Options
    With a BGE cook going "it's always beer drinking time"-sometimes I have to moderate that stance on the all-nighters however.  Enjoy-
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    With a BGE cook going "it's always beer drinking time"-sometimes I have to moderate that stance on the all-nighters however.  Enjoy-

Or you will end up like me last weekend :)
  • Scott805
    Options
    OK.  Brisket eaten.  I would give the tenderness a 7 out of 10.  The flavor a 9 out of 10.  The sauce was hotter than hell!  Thanks to Cen-Tex, Lousubcap and Travis for all the guidance.  I will try this again.  Switched from beer to Wellers for dinner.

Dallas, TX

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    OK.  Brisket eaten.  I would give the tenderness a 7 out of 10.  The flavor a 9 out of 10.  The sauce was hotter than hell!  Thanks to Cen-Tex, Lousubcap and Travis for all the guidance.  I will try this again.  Switched from beer to Wellers for dinner.
    I like your style!!!