Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time cooking whole chickens on my new XL BGE fail?

2»

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    depends where that tip was in the breast.

also, pink color in the meat can be from smoke.  if the center is pink, that's undrcooked (for some), but if the exterior meat is pink, that's the smoke ring
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Just got my  Thermopen a few weeks ago and everyone is right---it is wonderful
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    I bought a digiq dx2 and a thermapen, i think ive got all i need.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• cbr0011
    cbr0011 Posts: 93
    I hear a lot about the raised grill. Is that an egg-accessory? Can I do it with my current grid?
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Another thing that may help you in the future. A lot of us, before we were eggers, were probably over cooking a lot of stuff, including chicken. When I first got my egg, I often wondered if I had pulled my chicken too soon, even though the thermapen said it was done. Chicken off the egg is so juicy that it sometimes is called under done. My dad was the worst person I ever had to convince about doneness of chicken. To him juicy = under cooked. Now he has an egg and I have completely got him in tune with done temps on every cook. Now I'm not saying your bird was done, because if it was bloody, it obviously was not done. But chicken sometimes will be red down next to the bone, tricking people to say " hey that chicken is bloody!". One trick you can always do is take a white paper towel and dab the red spot. If the towel comes away white, your good. Comes away red, you have bloody chicken. Hang in there. Before long you will be cranking out birds that everyone will be going nuts over!
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I hear a lot about the raised grill. Is that an egg-accessory? Can I do it with my current grid?
    @cbr0011 the raised grill means raising the grid off of the fire ring where it sets on your to BGE to the felt line or gasket line of the BGE.

Some people will set fire bricks for example on the fire ring and then put the grid on the bricks.

Ceramicgrillstore.com has adjustable rigs and things they call a woo.  Check them out
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Just remember, success is the pile of failures you stand on top of.  If you stop, you have failed, if you continue, you will succeed, no doubt.  If you want proof, look intoo the story of Colonel Sanders.  Keep on eggin' on!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    The literature that came with my Thermapen says the end 1/8" is where it reads from. The rest of the probe is unaffected by heat.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Ok, so I am BRAND NEW here, and first I want to say hello and introduce myself. My name is Jason and I am obsessed with smoking/grilling and finally got the grill I have wanted for years. I'm from the metro detroit area of Michigan and have a family of 4. I really look forward to learning from the masters on this forum. Thanks in advance for all your help.

So, now to my first eggsperience. I had 3 whole 6lb chickens given to me for a grill test. I did some research and attempted 2 sittin chickens, and one spatchcock. The spatchcock was injected and rubbed, the sittin chickens were only rubbed. One sittin chicken was lemon pepper rub, lemon juice on the sittin chicken, and onions. The other was a standard poultry rub, with beer in the sittin chicken and onions.

I cooked indirect at 375 and immediatley inserted my meat thermometer probe (kmart) into what I thought was the thickest parts of the breast. I left the grill alone and it seemed to be within one hour, the internal temperature of the breast was already at 165+ I inserted it into another part of the other chickens breast and it read the same if not higher. I pulled all 3 off the grill and closed my dampers. When plating and cutting into the chicken, I discovered that the chicken was pink in the legs and thighs and even the breasts were still mushy and the juices were pink.

I then put all 3 back on the grill, opened my vents to get the temp back up and cooked for what seemed to be another 30minutes. The weird thing is that the second time I put the meat probe into the chicken, this time being more careful as to where I inserted it, it read much lower and took longer to get up to temp. I am wondering if the meat probe being exposed to the grill dome temp made it read incorrectly, or what. I am looking for advice, tips, and or help, because I have guests over very frequently and do not want to look like a fool like I did last night. What gives?

thanks,

Jason

Dude,

If you're gonna do stand chicken invert it

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    If you touch the bone with the probe it can also give you a false read.
    Lynnwood WA