Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making Crab Rangoon

Options
Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Crab Rangoon is a very tasty appetizer or side dish, and can be fried or baked, indirect, on the Egg.  I make up a mess ahead of time, freeze them in a Ziplock, then bring as many as I need out when it's time.

I made some last night, and thought I'd post what it looks like and the recipe, if anyone is interested.  After making them, I put them on a cookie sheet with parchment paper, then freeze them before putting them in the Ziplock.  That way, they don't stick together.

4 ounces Cream cheese, softened
1 pound Crab meat
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoon Soy Sauce, to taste
2 teaspoon Ginger, grated, to taste
1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
2 teaspoon Lemon juice
4 Green onions , Sliced paper thin
Pepper , to taste-------------------------
C

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    VI,

I love crab rangoon and thanks for posting your recipe. Looks great!

Have you tried them baked on the egg? How was the texture of the wonton?

Thanks,

BA
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    So what is your personal fav way to cook . . . . fried or baked or indirect?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Dad,

Yes, I've baked them on the Egg.  I made them at the Salado Eggfest.  I don't quite remember how the wontons were, but I think they were fairly crisp.

I forgot to mention above, these are great with sweet and sour sauce or Chinese mustard.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    Options
    NDG,

I haven't fried them yet, but I can already tell you .... that's my favorite way !  
    :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Looks good VI. I've always wanted to give making these a shot, thanks for posting. I'm always disappointed when ordering them at Chinese places because they seem to be all cream cheese with little or no crabmeat.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    ...make that fake crab meat. These look much better.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Village Idiot
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Looks good VI. I've always wanted to give making these a shot, thanks for posting. I'm always disappointed when ordering them at Chinese places because they seem to be all cream cheese with little or no crabmeat.
    You are right, MQ.  The original recipe I made called for 1 pound of crabmeat and 1 pound of cream cheese.  Yuk !  I couldn't even taste the crab.  I've modified it to 1 pound crabmeat, 4 oz. cream cheese.  I think I used 6 oz. cream cheese last night, and that worked very well.  Also, from the original recipe, I added a tsp of Old Bay seasoning which added a great flavor to it.

By the way, I use the 1 pound can of lump crabmeat from Costco.  Good stuff !

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited June 2012
    Options
    imageVI: Those are always a great snack aand your art work eggcelent.  If you like artichoke hearts marinated try adding some chopped up.  Lobster or shrimp are also a great flavor change.
     Made some recently with Loney instead of the crab. Still can not get this forum to let me post a pic from photo bucket.  It gives me a box that says hyperlink and then a window that says a selection is required HELP!  Maybe this will work?

imageimage

Sure would like to be able to tag my plates like you do.  Is there a link how to you could send me?  TIA

• Village Idiot
    Options
    VI: Those are always a great snack aand your art work eggcelent.  If you like artichoke hearts marinated try adding some chopped up.  Lobster or shrimp are also a great flavor change.
     Made some recently with Loney instead of the crab. Still can not get this forum to let me post a pic from photo bucket.  It gives me a box that says hyperlink and then a window that says a selection is required HELP!

[IMG]http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk35/woodmonkey-riri/LONEYCHEESEDSCN1870.jpg[/IMG]

Sure would like to be able to tag my plates like you do.  Is there a link how to you could send me?  TIA

Richard,

The forum software is very sophisticated.  It automatically filters out obscenities, and of course, Loney is an obscenity. 

As far as tagging, I use Adobe Photoshop.  I don't think you want to spend $700 on forum food pictures, do you?  I'm sure there are tons of inexpensive programs that will do it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    edited June 2012
    Options
    @Richard.  To be serious.  Write something in the post, like "Click here".  Then, highlight the word "here".  Next, do your hyperlink icon.

Example:   Click here

Posting a picture directly into the post is even easier.  Use the picture icon (next to the link icon) and put in the URL (do NOT add the [IMG] and [/IMG] )

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options

VI,

Thanks for the great recipe, and the humor, you are much appreciated in my book!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Eggbertsdad
    Options

VI,

Thanks for the great recipe, and the humor, you are much appreciated in my book!

Agree! 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Eggcellent.  I would probably like them fried, but that is a no-no now.  I am constantly watching for innovation on this forum to find interesting things to do.  This one makes the list.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Eggbertsdad
    Options
    Well, I am firing up some rangoons this afternoon. Headed to the market to get the wonton wrappers and crab. My plan, unless VI says otherwise, is to bake them on the egg at 350. 
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    You might consider par boiling them in the kitchen and then finishing them in a cast iron pan with some butter(ghee) on the egg. or you can take the uncooked ones and  do in the pan on BGE with some butter and turn every so often
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Well, I am firing up some rangoons this afternoon. Headed to the market to get the wonton wrappers and crab. My plan, unless VI says otherwise, is to bake them on the egg at 350. 
    350 sounds good to me.  I think I sprayed a small cookie sheet with Pam and baked them indirect until the wrappers looked right.  I have a small cookie sheet that lets me close the dome on my Large.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    So I am turning 30 on Saturday and my Wife offered to make some appetizers for us boys to enjoy during March Madness.  I picked this recipe deep out of my bookmarks . . . but where are the pictures?  I believe VI left us (sucks he has 50% of my bookmarks) so does that mean all his pics are gone too?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    NDG said:
    So I am turning 30 on Saturday and my Wife offered to make some appetizers for us boys to enjoy during March Madness.  I picked this recipe deep out of my bookmarks . . . but where are the pictures?  I believe VI left us (sucks he has 50% of my bookmarks) so does that mean all his pics are gone too?
    What makes you think he left? I've seen him post in the last couple days.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum