Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL BGE

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can someone tell me when the new Xtra large BGE is due out. I am looking to purchase my first egg and this seems to me the way to go.[p]Dale

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Dale,
    It is out. There is one sitting in my local Ace Hardware store at this very moment.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Dale,
    I'm going to assume you are not a troll hoping to p*ss off people - with that said my BGE dealer has already sold a couple XL BGE and has another on his show room floor and I'm clear up here in Peoria, IL.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    RRP, I don't understand where your comment comes from! I have simply decided on the BGE for my first purchase because they seem to be the best from what I can see. I simply wanted to know when they were to arrive in stores. I have not seen one yet around my neck of the woods![p]Dale

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Dale,
    then if you feel I flamed you, I apologize - but if you have read this board over the last 12 months then you would have known that this very subject has been a magnet for trolls.
    BTW it is so good to hear from you who doesn't even want to start out with a proven large BGE as your first purchase, but you want to go directly to the extra large...Now, do you wonder why I question your sincerity???

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    RRP,
    No, I really don't know why you are questioning my sincerity. This is my first time posting or reading this forum and simply once again had a valid question. The size I start out with as my first purchase is in no way revelant to my question. To put me in a catergory because of past posts by other people does not make good sense to me. Maybe this forum is not the best as I have been told. The reception is speaking for itself I think! I just hope you don't speak for everyone.[p]Dale

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Dale,[p]don't take ron's post the wrong way, he got his feathers ruffled a few days ago and will be back to his own good self shortly. [p]the xl is a behemoth of a grill, much more than the average egger will need. this is an open forum where we can share thoughts, opinions, and tips. [p]If you catch one of us after a bad day, or even a bird doin a near miss overhead, you may get a big 'what the f...'. [p]You got lucky, like many that visit the forum, you can air out a little dirty laundry if you want to, but someone may have a dirty sock to stuff in your mouth if it gets too stinky.[p]i do love this forum.[p]Scott[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Dale, This is a great place to learn about the egg. Just ignore many of RRP's posts. Many times, he doesn't think before he posts. He would be better off not posting some of his thoughts![p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Dale,[p]The XL is out now and don't let Ron's (RRP) response turn you off, it happens. This really is a great place with a lot of fine folks that will go way out of their way to help you. Ther have been some trolls posting about the XL and it availability for a long time, mostly sue to the fact that it did come out much later than BGE announced due to production problems of some sort, or something along those lines. But let me say this, you should probably do some research on whether or not the XL egg is the first egg you should get. Ask questions here if you want. It seems to me that the large egg may be more than enough for what you want. The grill space seems small at first especially for the money, but once you start smoking or cooking (roasting) large hunks of meat you'd be surprized exactly how much you can and will fit in there. The extra large is good, but if you don't necessarily need that much space, why spend the money and use up that much lump, if the large will fit your needs?[p]My 2 cents. This really is a great place, ignore that first response, hang around, ask questions, get an egg and have fun.[p]CEB

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Ignore RRP,
    Seems like this guy may have "Smokin' Todd Syndrome"
    lol

• Unknown
    Options
    CaptainEggBottom,
    Thanks for the positive reply, that certainly makes good sense. Your right it does seem small but again I have never used a BGE before and this would be my first purchase. My reasoning behind my thinking was that we are a large family and when we grill, lets say t-bones or the like it is usally about six steaks at a time. This was my only reasoning I had for the size consideration for thinking I needed the XL BGE. Again I dont know, thats what I am looking for is advice. Thanks!

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Dale,
    Sorry you had to endure some of the stuff that was being said earlier. Some folks have knee jerk reactions to some people because of stuff that had nothing at all to do with their questions or comments.[p]I think the distribution for the XL's has been a bit spotty. Some people seem to have them while others don't. [p]You might also want to consider getting 2 larges, depending on the price you are able to secure it might be a cheaper way to go or about the same money.[p]Try and hit an Eggfest if you are able and if there is one in your area, the next one will be here in Atlanta in October. You will get probably the best price for an Egg at an Eggfest.[p]Welcome to the cult, what flavor Kool Aid do you prefer?

• smokesignal
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,do you know if there will be any xlg discounted at eggoberfest.

• Unknown
    Options
    Dale,[p]My advice would be to then post a new question, more along the line of asking which egg is better for your needs, the XL or the Large. State what it is you want to do, grill steaks, smoke pork butts, ribs or briskets, and typically for how many folks at a time..etc. Youll get the information you need to make a good decisions. Don't get me wrong I would love to have an XL and it may be right for your needs, I just dont know one way or the other and it's important for you to make the right decision. I would help a bit more, but I only have a medium and a small and although I've cooked on a few larges I'm not sure I'm the best person to ask.[p]I will say this, you really can't go wrong with an egg whatever size you end up getting, there's a reason we're all so passionate about these darned expensive things, and a reason why many folks have more than one also.[p]CEB
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    Hmmmm....Sounds like a plan to purchase my small. But the problem would be getting it back home. I can just imagine airport security reaction as I wheele little humpty through the terminal. Heeee
    ST

• Unknown
    Options
    Just a joke. No, I am not really going to wheele a small BGE through an airport.
    <shaking head>

• KyBoy
    KyBoy Posts: 11
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    How many $$$$ are they asking for a XL ?

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Dale,[p]If you have a big family that likes to eat then I would go with the xl. It will do everything the large can do but in a bigger way.
    When deciding between the egg sizes I chose the large for the times when I would need the extra space.... it paid off and it's there when I need it.... good luck![p]John

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Dale,
    The XL is out and in my opinion has limited distribution. I got mine in February 05, and it is great! There were some minor problems at first with the product, and a small learning curve, but the folks on the forum who have XL's, and the folks at the BGE company have helped me work through the glitches.
    We all get keyboard punchy at times, but never doubt that the folks on this forum are good folks, and share their opinions whether you like it or not, and that is what makes it great.
    Good luck on whatever size you choose, because whatever size you choose will produce great results!
    Hammer

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Hi Dale,
    Welcome to the forum, I don't have the XL nor have I seen one, I do have four eggs, one of each from the large on down to the mini. If you're wanting to cook 6 large steaks at one time the XL may be your ticket. Keep gathering information then get an egg and join the fun. Read the forum often and ask all the questions you like.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    New Bob,[p]Obviously picking which Egg is right for you is a personal decision. But if you are a family of four or smaller and don't plan on travelling and competition cooking right away, I'm pretty sure the Large is plenty of egg for you. [p]Of course, withing six months of having the large, I had the small and the mini also, but that was more for versatility than the size of the cooks. [p]You won't be disappointed no matter which way you go, and you'll also never look at your old gasser the same way again.[p]Good luck, take pictures and post often.[p]
  • AndyBoy
    AndyBoy Posts: 11
    Options
    Dale,[p]I was in the Big Green Egg store in Atlanta last Friday to get some charcoal and they had a XL on the floor so I assume it is avaliable now. It definately has some extra grilling area and weighs in at around 100 pounds I believe. Go for it Dale.
  • Dave B
    Dave B Posts: 25
    Options
    Dale,
    I purchased my first egg about a month ago and was waiting for the XL. Based on the info I read on this forum, and on the advise of my local dealer, I decided on the large instead. I don't regret that decision. Rarely do I need more space than the large will allow, but if that changes, I'd rather have an additional egg rather than one xl. Even 2 larges appeal to me. You could do different styles of cooking at the same time.[p]Dave B

• Unknown
    Options
    Dale,[p]I live in Tampa and looked all over on line trying to find an XL without luck. I finally called the local dealer, expecting more of the same and found they had them in stock. They were patient, knowledgable, and easy to work with. [p]It was my first Egg but I figured the XL was only a few hundred more and knowing my history with such things, decided to go all the way out of the box.[p]I am very pleased. I am not that experienced and a bit sloppy at best. I really like having the room and not worrying about dropping the top on a chicken wing. Besides I have been told that the best way to preserve the gasket is to not get it all sauced up.[p]Since I have no other experience I can't speak to the relative ease of cooking compared to other sizes. I can say that I have been very pleased and surprised by how quickly it is ready to cook and how easily I have been able to control the temperture.[p]As far as lump use is concerned I don't know how it compares to a large. (Because of the way it holds the heat, it doesn't seem it should be a lot more) I do know that I would have spent at least twice as much for regular charcoal to cook for the same amount of time.[p]The people on this board are wonderful and have helped me immensely. Anything you can't find in the archives (a rarity) all you have to do is ask.[p]By the way, the cooking area of an XL is about 80 percent greater than the large (452 to 254 sq. in.) I don't always need it but it is nice to have it. If I were a better cook or planned things better I probably wouldn't feel the need for the XL. It is individual preference based on a lot of factors but I do not think there is anything about the XL from a design standpoint that makes it a bad choice.[p]Good luck

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    AndyBoy,
    Make that 200 pounds. The large is about 140 pounds and XL is supposed to be about 200.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Liled,[p]Very nice post and welcome to the board.... please share your xl cooks with us![p]John