Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Here I go...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm off to get an egg for a father's day gift. Very nervous about this, my stomach is actually not feeling good, but am trusting you guys on this one.[p]Gwen

Comments

• 1shot1kill
    1shot1kill Posts: 136
    Options
    Gwen,
    Trust in the mighty EGGORS. You will be very glad you made this choice. He will just love it!

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Gwen,
    Have no fear, if he hates it they have a great resale value, but you might find 1 out of 1000 guys that won't be absolutely thrilled.

• Kris in Fl
    Kris in Fl Posts: 38
    Options
    Gwen,
    No need to be nervous....
    I bought a large BGE for my husband several years ago & he didn't like cooking on it.....so, I inherited it :) WooHoo... best gift I ever bought him!!
    Have Fun![p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Gwen,I think that this one Father's Day gift that will not be forgotten for many years. I don't think you are doing wrong. You are starting a whole new lifetime adventure.
    Read here, ask questions here, and remember it will take a little getting use to, but once you do look out.[p]The Best of EGGIN' to You All,
    Poppasam

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Gwen,
    get some fast food to calm down the stomach. after you have your first egg meal you won't settle for fast food again.

• a.smack
    a.smack Posts: 20
    Options
    Gwen,[p]I hope you don't have any siblings. If so too bad for them, he is going to love you more.[p]a.smack.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    wardeggs.jpg
    <p />Gwen,
    I started out with one egg and here is the rest of the story...They are great.
    Larry

• a.smack
    a.smack Posts: 20
    Options
    YB,[p]Larry, you may need to go through a little rehab with that addiction of yours. I know, you started out just trying it out, now your a full fledged junkie. I have a feeling I'll be seeing your there soon, save me a seat.[p]a.smack.
  • Daddy Pat
    Daddy Pat Posts: 32
    Options
    Gwen,
    The best father's day gift ever. Should feel much better after cooking/eating all the great meals that the egg produces. And the eggcessories make great father's day gifts year after year. Good luck and happy egging.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    a.smack.,
    I am really having fun...Cook and eat.
    Larry

• Groundfish
    Groundfish Posts: 71
    Options
    Gwen,
    i didn't feel good about it either. turned out to be one my few wise decisions. don't be surprised if you start contemplating egg #2 in a month or 2.

• JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Options
    Gwen,
    We posted back and forth a couple weeks ago re: Eggs at Sutter Home and Hearth, etc. I bought a large just after Memorial Day weekend and I'm loving it. A few glitches have occurred, such as overcooked salmon and undercooked chicken and a slight gap at the back of the Egg (I'm going to have to readjust the bands this afternoon), but these are already outweighed by great successes. For chicken drumsticks (thanks to those on this forum, particularly WooDoggies) I went 275 for 2.5 hours, w/ plum wood chunks, on an elevated grid and it was perfect--better than ever. Saturday I made ribs, a Swedish pizza and bacon-wrapped Weathervane scallops all on the same fire--I was going to do Tollhouse cookies, but a friend brought a cake and I thought it would be rude. Last night's ribeye was my first on the egg and among my top five in memory, including the Metropolitan Grill. Awesome oysters, perfect potatoes. I could go on, but aside from Buffalo wings that's about all I've done in the past two weeks. Well, that's not entirely true: I've also begun, somewhat enthusiastically, to use the word "egg" as a verb. Tonight, having bought a plate-setter, I'm going to try the salmon again. Good luck and enjoy.
    Jim

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    BGEallstars.jpg
    <p />Gwen,[p]That feeling you have is HUNGER which will be soon satisfied from fantastic food from the egg.[p]Egg food goes well with watching the Spurs kick Piston butt.[p]Cheers,[p]GM

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Ed...Them be fightin words. Although I may live in Alabama, the D is my home, and we don't take too kindly to anyone talking down our teams, except the Lions of course. I just hope your pride is not hurt too bad when Big Ben and and the boys send your guys home crying.
    -Kevin

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    Squeeze,[p]Yeah, Yeah,[p]The Spurs will let D'troit win the next one and maybe even the one after their third win (It's all about network money), but #7 and the championship will come home to San Antonio, TEXAS buddy![p]Don't Mess with Texas. (grin)[p]GO SPURS!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Charles in SC
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Nice set of eggs!

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Want to put a 6pack of PBR at Eggtoberfest on it? Tough Guy!

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    eggfamily.jpg
    <p />Gwen,
    I might as well throw my view out here also....
    can`t get enough..LOL[p]Wess

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    WessB,
    I so envious of that setup. I just really appreciate it.[p]Mike

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Thanks.....if you`re ever in the area give us a little notice and come appreciate it in person..we would love to have ya..[p]Wess

• Unknown
    Options
    WessB,[p]Gee, I guess you don't like them at all. LOL What is that differently shaped one in the corner?[p]I love your work station all built around them. Very nice. I want hubby to build something. I was thinking a table, but then I saw yours....
  • Unknown
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]Aren't you afraid someone will knock one over with the basketball?[p]They look like little soldiers all lined up.[p]That bad feeling went away after talking to the salesguys. I really like the store I went to. I'd been there before. The owner owns and uses some of the $$$ stuff he sells, so I have a lot of respect for that. Of course, he is an egger too. They also fire one up on Saturdays for demos (which I have been unable to attend) and didn't bat an eye when I asked them to show me the one they cook on. Just went in back and rolled it out. I have to admit it smelled pretty good when they lifted the lid on that baby.[p]Then I went to Costco and bought one of every cut of meat. So as to be prepared, you know.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Jim,[p]I ended up buying from Sutter Home in Woodenville. I know you went to the Ballard store, but that's a bit farther for me. I never did get to a demo, but that's the way it goes. I tried to go to one two Sats ago, but they were closed when I got there. (What kind of store closes on Sat at4?!?)[p]Anyhow, the thing is sitting in the back of the car til tomorrow afternoon when my three teen boys will help lift it out and assemble it, not necessarily in that order. Then we'll wheel it into the garage and forbid hubby to go in before Sunday.[p]I was recommended to fire it up to about 300 degrees for 3-4 hours to 'cure' the gasket, so I think we'll do that Sunday morning so we can cook on it early Sunday afternoon.[p]I must say, you have been busy busy busy on yours! What is a Swedish pizze and no, it would not have been rude to do Tollhouse in addition to the cake. I wonder if they would come out smoky flavored.
  • Unknown
    Options
    YB,[p]Is that an XLG I see tucked in there. They had one of those at the store. Boy those are huge. I see you have one of those odd shaped ones too. What are those?!!?
  • Unknown
    Options
    a.smack.,[p]I am the wife. The only wife. LOL Unfortunately, my dad has passed away but I know I was his favorite even w/out buying him an egg. (Which he would have loved.)
  • Unknown
    Options
    Kris in FL,
    We have a history of buying each other gifts that we are actually the ones who wanted it. Well, to be honest, I am the only one who does that. But he usually likes them too.

• GrillMeister
    Options
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    Gwen,[p]Congrats! Good choice on the beef. Costco has great NY Strips.[p]Cheers,[p]GM

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Options
    Gwen,[p]First off, congratulations--you guys are going to have fun. The Swedish Pizza was the result of a trip to Ikea, wherein, as is typical, my girlfriend bought trinkets and I bought food: in this case Swedish tunnbrod, or Arctic bread--basically a big, soft cracker--and an enormous wheel of farmer's cheese, simple and salty. I topped these two with some home-smoked salmon (Little Chief), dry dill and cracked pepper, and into the Egg it went. No big deal, but it was good. Next time I'm doing cookies.[p]Jim
  • DHall
    DHall Posts: 180
    Options
    Gwen,
    Thats the BGE chimnea