Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland length for large

Options
twlangan
twlangan Posts: 307
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Local ACE hardware didn't have flat Rutlands in stock so I asked them to order a 5/8" X 84". They ordered a 72". Didn't notice it til I got home with it. Will a 6 ft be long enough or do I need a 7 ft?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• crmilt
    crmilt Posts: 115
    Options
    Were you able to stretch it or do you need the 7 foot?
    __________ Chris
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Just take the diameter of the BGE in inches x Pi (3.14).  That will tell you if you will have enough.  Don't forget that you want to bunch the Rutland a bit when installing.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • twlangan
    Options
    I have not tried it yet. My stock gasket is about 50% gone in one spot and I am just rounding up the stuff I will need when replacement day arrives. Naked Whiz's site says 7' for the large - apparently you widen the 5/8" gasket out as you apply it which shortens it. Without any shortening, it would require about 67" - which isn't far from the 72" I got in this kit. I tend to think it would be too short for the large.

I found a website selling the 84" gasket and ordered it. I might return the 6' gasket or I might decide to hang onto it in case the desire to get a small BGE ever strikes me.  :)
  • crmilt
    crmilt Posts: 115
    Options
    You do not widen it out, you bunch it together that is why it takes 7 feet.
    __________ Chris
  • twlangan
    Options
    Ok, forgive me here since I've not done it yet and obviously do not yet understand how its done. What is the purpose of bunching it together? Why couldn't a person just apply it as is? I'm thinking it is to cover the whole width of the lip - but Rutlands also come in 3/4" wide. Why not opt for those and just lay it on?

I think this will be one of those things that once I actually do it, I'll have an "ah ha!" moment where it all becomes clear, but right now I'm puzzled - and thinking there may be others out there reading that are in the same boat I am and can benefit from you guys who have already replaced yours.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Ok, forgive me here since I've not done it yet and obviously do not yet understand how its done. What is the purpose of bunching it together? Why couldn't a person just apply it as is? I'm thinking it is to cover the whole width of the lip - but Rutlands also come in 3/4" wide. Why not opt for those and just lay it on?

I think this will be one of those things that once I actually do it, I'll have an "ah ha!" moment where it all becomes clear, but right now I'm puzzled - and thinking there may be others out there reading that are in the same boat I am and can benefit from you guys who have already replaced yours.
    The whole "bunching" thing is really not a big deal. I didn't really get it either until I did it myself.  Just lay a bead of Permatex Ultra Copper on the rim, spread the stuff out evenly and lay the Rutland down evenly all the way around.  No more worrying about the gasket.
    Packerland, Wisconsin