Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat Iron Fajitas

Options
Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
My garden was beckoning to me to make fajitas since it had produced all the fixin's.

I used a flat iron steak I got from the freezer because I didn't have a flap steak or skirt steak.  The steak was very tender, and this may sound funny, but I think a cut of meat can be too good for it's use.  I want a fajita that I have to rip the meat away from the tortilla and chew it, not one that just melts in your mouth.  Next time, it's back to flap or skirt for me.

However, Pam didn't complain.

Finished off with frijoles refritos and chile con queso.  Pam also had guacamole, but I don't do avocados.  The salsa on the fajitas were also homegrown from tomatoes from the garden.  ¡ Muy bueno !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    It's way to early to be looking at your posts. Now I'm realy hungry. Great looking food as always Gary.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Nice looming plate and harvest. We just got our tomatoes in.
    And I have to agree. Some things go require the right cut of meat. Like someone using fillet on steak sandwich.
    Tender, but missing the flavor.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Looks more like chile con show off. You're making the rest of us look bad. Also, I'm still laughing at the visual of you running out of the house over those peppers. =))
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Looks more like chile con show off. You're making the rest of us look bad. Also, I'm still laughing at the visual of you running out of the house over those peppers. =))
    Travis,

Did you have to go through the CS gas chamber in basic?  That's child's play compared to cooking chili oil.  We need to let the Pentagon know about this.  
    :-&

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    nice looking ingredients and nice looking meal!  Damn I am hungry now.  =P~
  • Mattlock
    Mattlock Posts: 64
    Options
    I agree about the chew, melt in your mouth fajita meat is odd. Kinda like putting a nice steak on a bun and eating it like a sandwich.
    Newbie Egghead - Just got a LBGE at the Georgia Eggfest! Life is Good!