Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza attempt - Success

Options
jbates67
jbates67 Posts: 168
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I got my stone and decided last night was going to be the one for home made pizza. Made a basic cheese and a duplication of a pie we used to get at a pizza joint in town. Fresh motz, tomatoes, shrooms and onions with some Arugula thrown on after it comes out. A couple of observations, I used Publix pizza dough.

I prepped the (fancy) pizza first and had the dough set out while the egg was coming to temperature, even though it was ready first, I threw the cheese pizza on first to appease the hungry kids. Even though the stone was in the egg the entire warming cycle, it wasn't at 600 degrees very long before I put the cheese pizza in. Additionally, I should have obviously made it round, the overhang burnt pretty bad while the center at the bottom wasn't quite done when I took it off after 15 minutes.

After taking this pie off (the other pie had been sitting, waiting to get cooked), I had a slice of the first pizza and then threw the fancy pie on the stone, this one turned out fantastic, the crust puffed up nicely and the bottom was perfect, edges...everything turned out really good. I will say the tomatoes and mushrooms did release too much water and I had to soak some of it up off the pie before pulling it.

All in all, the family is getting more and more convinced that my egg isn't just another grill. I've done plenty of pork butts, ribs, steaks, spatchcocks, stir fry and now pizza. My only complaint is it's getting too warm here in south FL.

Comments

• Kristinnn
    Kristinnn Posts: 133
    Options
    That looks yummy.  im gonna try pizza friday or saturday for the first time with publix dough too. now im craving pizza
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Got a pizza stone for Christmas.  Started making pizzas 12/26.  Made every mistake you could possibly make and now I get the pizzas ready and the BGE ready in a snap.

Stick with it and as always, experience is the best teacher.