Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Permatex or Rutland Cement...Temp. issue

Options
Newfman
Newfman Posts: 4
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hello,

New Egg owner and already am in need of a gasket.  I cycled my egg on lower temp (350-400) a couple times during the day, and then cooked two incredible steaks at 550 for dinner.  When I went to turn the steaks, my upper gasket started to fall apart.  Regardless, the steaks were as good as any I have had at a fine restaraunt.  the were 1 3/4 " thick Prime, KC Sirloin.  OMG!  (neve thoght I woudl use that abbreviation thing, but there it is)

So, I bought the Rutland gasket at my local hardware store, and looked at the Rutland Stove and Gasket cement.  Good to 2000 degrees.  I have used it befor on my wood stove, and the gasket around the catalytic reburner stays in the 1250 to 1600 degree range.  The gasket has been good to go for a few years now.  Of course, it is bolted down.

I looked at the Permatex Ultra Copper and it said on the package that it is rated for "700 Degrees Intermittant". 

Am I missing something here?  Is that the right permatex product?  The egg will be used at higher temps than that, not to mention the 'newby' runaway temp episodes.

Could some of you experienced Eggsperts offer some guidance please?  (eggsperts. . .oh god, it's started already)

Thanks,

Dennis in Maine 

Comments

• Newfman
    Options
    I just read my post.  I appologize for the really bad spelling/typos.  I'm not usually that bad.
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    Options
    Helps to read it over before you hit "post" ;);) But you can still edit it for an hour after posting I think?
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    The lump might be that hot, but the ceramics at the gasket aren't. The main thing with the Rutland cement is that its water soluble so has a tendency to eventually lose its hold if it gets wet...no problems like that for the Permatex....
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    the rim doesn't hit 700.  a thin edge of excess permatex may seep out when you apply it, but after a few cooks, any of the adhesive is insulated by the gasket and ceramics.

the rutland is technically rated higher, but you aren't getting the rim of the egg too 2000 any time soon.

i found the permatex to be a permanent (so far, 5-plus years, year 'round, all weather).  the rutland cement failed for me three times, all despite OCD-level prep
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I used the permatex and I have done pizzas and a 2 hour burnout and the gasket is holding just fine.
  • Newfman
    Options

Great.  Exactly what I was looking for.  Sort of a gasket support group.  Yeah, weird.  I'll go with the permatex.  I appreciate you folks taking the time.

Cheers,

Dennis