Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Like fight club?

Options
exspo
exspo Posts: 51
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I was talking egg stuff to a coworker, and he was glazing his eyes over, when another coworker walked by and pipes up: "did you say big green egg"?

Turns out he has been egging for 7 years ( me 5 months).

Now we nod in the hall like fight club. Have terse charcoal convos. Have short detailed temperature debates about pork shoulder.

Anyone else do this?

Comments

• RichardBronosky
    Options
    At my work we do Tech Talks. Everyone is required to do them. We are pretty relaxed on what the subject matter is as long as it is instructional. My favorite Peruvian Olympic athlete, Alfredo Deza, did a Tech Talk on "15 hour Pulled Pork" in which he fed us with 2 whole 10lb pork butts. Here are the slides he used for the presentation. (they are just photos) After that about 12 of us went out and bought Big Green Eggs.

Now it is common to hear "What did you smoke last night?" or "You gonna burn this weekend?" or "Smoke one for me, man. I'm gonna be too busy." a few times a day. We sound like a bunch of stoners.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    My coworkers act like they think I'm nuts for talking about food and how it got cooked, but seems to me they are just jealous every time I reheat my left overs for lunch. So this forum is my club.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    There are now three co-workers that are planning on getting an egg. They love the versitility and flavors of everything I bring for them.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    one other egger in my office.  He helped push me into getting an egg.  If we start talking about BBQ, the younger staff write it off as a bad side effect of being married 20+ years.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    So I was talking egg stuff to a coworker, and he was glazing his eyes over, when another coworker walked by and pipes up: "did you say big green egg"? Turns out he has been egging for 7 years ( me 5 months). Now we nod in the hall like fight club. Have terse charcoal convos. Have short detailed temperature debates about pork shoulder. Anyone else do this?
    Same thing happened to me.  My co-worker has been egging for over 5 years ( me 2 months) and now at least twice per week we are exchanging recipies and tips.  Monday morning is all about what did you cook this weekend.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    A guy i worked with gave me my first egg. One other guy had an egg butt he just left the company. Not sure it's just an egg thing though because one of the PMs uses a WSM and him and I talk all the time about our cooks.
  • spotco2
    spotco2 Posts: 61
    Options
    A guy i worked with gave me my first egg.
    WOW!

That's a nice gift from a coworker.

I am the only egg owner I officially know, so I have to talk to my friends that only have regular grills and smokers :(

Even they think I'm nutz for buying a $100 thermometer to go with my $1500 egg setup. My wife supports it and that's all that really matters.
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    This past week, the guys I work with started talking about having a "BBQ" and how great of an idea it was, but they had to go get a propane tank filled. I just laughed. When asked what was funny, I told them I use charcoal in my Big Green Egg. It went silent. Nobody knew what an egg was, so the rest of the lunch hour was "show and tell" with phone pics. 

I rarely run into anyone here in Vegas that know what a BGE is. Anyone else have that problem? 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    Most of the people that I work with are interested in the Egg, and love to hear about and see pics from my cooks, but they just aren't the Egging types.  I'm sort of known for my Thai food, but for the few that have been over for Egged food they tell all the others that it's amazing from what I hear.  A few of the ladies I work with have husbands who are really into BBQ, but don't want their husbands to hear about the Egg because they don't want the expense lol. 

When I do facebook posts of cooks, the coworkers all chime in.  One day I'll convert them all.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options

1st RULE: You do not talk about FIGHT CLUB.
    2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about FIGHT CLUB.

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • exspo
    exspo Posts: 51
    Options
    It's not like we all pick our best friends to work with all the time (although I know some great people at work, along with, um, some other personalities).

When we can bond with someone at work about good food, prepared honestly for good people, well what's not to like about that?
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I enjoy talking BBQ with my co-workers even though some of them cook on WSMs, Traegers, kettles, & one on an old Kamado. After feeding my co-workers at birthday potlucks for the last 2 years, three of them are buying Eggs at the next Eggfest. I'm looking forward to some Egg specific chats!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • woody's wood pit
    Options
    There is a THIRD RULE:  Show people the "Force" The reason all the fighting was going on was due to a lack of good Q

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder