Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High-que Grate

Options
2»

Comments

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    I bought the hi-que about a month ago and  I like it but there was a bit of a learning curve. The definite benefit of using one is no more clogs. No more wiggle rod usage. 

However, if you clean your ashes out too frequently you will be wasting the smaller pieces of lump that fall through the grate. But as someone mentioned above, if you leave them in there they will burn eventually. 

The thing that is more difficult for me about using the hi-que (besides the astronomical price) is that once too much lump is burning, or you have overshot your temp, the vents have to be almost completely closed with just a sliver of airflow just to maintain 350, whereas with the standard grate it was a little more predictable in my opinion. 
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • RichardBronosky
    Options
    The price of the High Q grate makes me want to learn to weld.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options

The large is easier to use the ash tool in and the hole below the high que grate is bigger. The hole on the small can easily fill up after 1 decent cook. Also the ash tool isn't as easy to use on the small since the opening is much smaller. The grate is nice it makes the smalls airflow issue go away I just haven't ever had an airflow issue with my other eggs and think my money is better spent on other toys.

I'm in agreement with Lit on the Small.  My Small ash tool is my least used accessory and the firebox hole on my Small needs to be emptied pretty much after each cook.  Here's how it typically looks and this was after a 2 hour cook/burn time:

Cleaning it out doesn't really bother me as I often clean my Eggs after every cook.  Yeah, I'm kind of weird about it.

I bought the High-Que in the hopes of improving the airflow to the point of getting my Small to act more like my Mini.  I feel that it does help with the airflow.  Here's a recent example where I was cooking indirect around 250-275 and then removed the plate setter/drip pan, put in a cast iron grid, and opened up top & bottom vents in preparation for a reverse sear:

5 minutes later, 500+

I don't recall my Small ever getting up to searing temps that quickly with the stock fire grate.

Now I've tried the High-Que in my Mini once and didn't really see a noticeable benefit as my Mini really doesn't have any airflow problems and it has even less space for ash & small bits of lump under the High-Que.  I know some folks swear by them in a Mini so maybe I'm missing something here.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    The large small and mini all have the a High Q. When I get down to the small pieces of lump I will 2 highQ turned 90 degrees to each other this prevents the small pieces from falling thru. Works like a charm.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Options
    I have my high que grate now installed and it works great.  Comes up to temp quicker then before.  Also after a low and slow at 225 for 6 hrs or so it will crank up to a high temp no problem.  No more clogs or ash settling blocking flow.  It cuts quite abit of time of my preheating also.  I have noticed my bottom vent is damped down much more then before to keep the same temp as the cast grate would have.
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    I have my high que grate now installed and it works great.  Comes up to temp quicker then before.  Also after a low and slow at 225 for 6 hrs or so it will crank up to a high temp no problem.  No more clogs or ash settling blocking flow.  It cuts quite abit of time of my preheating also.  I have noticed my bottom vent is damped down much more then before to keep the same temp as the cast grate would have.
    My exact findings with the high Q.
    Eggo in N. MS