Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

pulled pork

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
so if I'm doing an 8.5 lb butt whats the temp I need to get to in the first 4 hours?

Comments

• I like to "slow cok" at around 235F myself. At 8+ Lbs, I would Seear the mess out of the butt at 550F , turning each 3 mins and then I would remove the meat, put in saucepan and let the egg go down to the mid 200's and reinsert back on the grill.[p]When you stable at the mid 200 to 250F...then about 3 1/2 to 4 hours should do it.[p]Poke holes at the end and look for very clear juice. it should be done!!
  • T-47T-47 Posts: 84
    Lionel,
    I have always heard that every butt has its own way of getting to temp. I cook my butts between 225 and 250, and if the cooker is working at those temps, the only butt temp I look for is the final one, for me 195. What happens between the fridge and 195, I guess I have never worried about that.

• GroundfishGroundfish Posts: 71
    Lionel,[p]i cook indirect over a drip pan with some hickory mixed in the lump. i get a grate temp stable between 220 and 250. then i put on the butt and let it go until i get an internal meat temp of 200. i don't worry about anything except keeping my grate temp in that range. my last 5.25 lb butt took 13 hours and was awsome.