Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pulled pork

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
so if I'm doing an 8.5 lb butt whats the temp I need to get to in the first 4 hours?

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    I like to "slow cok" at around 235F myself. At 8+ Lbs, I would Seear the mess out of the butt at 550F , turning each 3 mins and then I would remove the meat, put in saucepan and let the egg go down to the mid 200's and reinsert back on the grill.[p]When you stable at the mid 200 to 250F...then about 3 1/2 to 4 hours should do it.[p]Poke holes at the end and look for very clear juice. it should be done!!
  • T-47
    T-47 Posts: 84
    Options
    Lionel,
    I have always heard that every butt has its own way of getting to temp. I cook my butts between 225 and 250, and if the cooker is working at those temps, the only butt temp I look for is the final one, for me 195. What happens between the fridge and 195, I guess I have never worried about that.

• Groundfish
    Groundfish Posts: 71
    Options
    Lionel,[p]i cook indirect over a drip pan with some hickory mixed in the lump. i get a grate temp stable between 220 and 250. then i put on the butt and let it go until i get an internal meat temp of 200. i don't worry about anything except keeping my grate temp in that range. my last 5.25 lb butt took 13 hours and was awsome.