Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Onion for flavor

Sm62577
Sm62577 Posts: 30
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anybody ever tried dropping a whole unpeeled onion on the hot charcoal to create flavor during smoking? Some BBQ expert told me about that but I haven't tried it, I've never heard of that...

Comments

• Janssen14
    Janssen14 Posts: 50
    I've done it.. It works
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

do you get any wierd burnt flavor?

• Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Ive done it... no burnt flavors, but the aroma will draw neighbors.  :)  I liked the flavor it imparted, but it isn't quite onion flavor.  I have also added garlic and fresh herbs.  They are interesting too.  My favorite thing to add is wood, but we all knew that.  ;)
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    No, but once I dropped all the ingredients for salsa directly on the coals for a few minutes to give it a charred-smokey flavor. I do remember it smelling real good as they cooked, whether it would impart any flavor to something else you are cooking...I have no idea.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• seanwiley
    seanwiley Posts: 27
    Ive done it... no burnt flavors, but the aroma will draw neighbors.  :)  I liked the flavor it imparted, but it isn't quite onion flavor.  I have also added garlic and fresh herbs.  They are interesting too.  My favorite thing to add is wood, but we all knew that.  ;)
    So are you saying its worth doing? Or just kind of a novelty?
  • Egg Juju
    So are you saying its worth doing? Or just kind of a novelty?

I think, personally at least, that the aroma was better than the flavor.  I wouldn't say it was a bad thing, but I would rather stick the onion on a skewer, brush with olive oil, salt & pepper, and eat it.  :)  Maybe thats just me. 
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Wrap the onion in foil with a little butter and brown sugar, S&P, indirect @ 350 about  1 hour....oooooohhhhh yyyyyyaaaaa, that's good.
  • Egg Juju
    Wrap the onion in foil with a little butter and brown sugar, S&P, indirect @ 350 about  1 hour....oooooohhhhh yyyyyyaaaaa, that's good.

Yes... that is delicious too!  Although I used butter and Better Than Bullion.
  • Sm62577
    Sm62577 Posts: 30
    Thanks for all the input,,,much appreciated
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Yes... that is delicious too!  Although I used butter and Better Than Bullion.
    I'll give that a try, thanks.