Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egghead and Large Egg Table

Options
sierrahotel
sierrahotel Posts: 3
edited May 2012 in EGG Table Forum
After lurking for a while, convinced the spousal unit that I should have an egg for my anniversary - to cook for her of course. She bought me the large, and I promptly started looking around for table materials, after lusting around here and Naked Whiz' site for designs and ideas. I found some Brazilian Redwood (also known as Paraju or Massaranduba) leftover from a fence project in sufficient quantity to make a table. I contacted my granite supplier from the house build, and had them fab me a top from a remnant they had (Jurassic Green) and went to work. I had some 12" granite tiles left over from another project, and used them for the second shelf.

Pleased with how it came out, my first cook was actually a brisket that turned out only great :-) Steaks are out of this world, glad to a part of the egghead cult!

imageimage

Comments

• Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    Very nice table. I love the looks of the top. I'm sure you will enjoy it for years to come... Welcome to the cult.
  • flmtrain
    flmtrain Posts: 15
    Options
    Table looks nice, great job. I am looking at building a table too. You got the plans off the Naked Whiz site? What size hole was cut in the countertop and what is the measurement between to the countertop and the shelf below? Did not really think about using granite for the top but that really looks great. I wonder how it will hold up in the weather. Great job!
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Grats on the egg and that is a beautiful table... Cant wait to see the cooks!
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    @sierrahotel,

Welcome to the club! You'll love your egg. Great looking table except for that RedSox bottle opener!!! 
    :-\"

At least you aren't a Yankees fan! 
    :))

Sincerely,

Rays Fan
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
  • sierrahotel
    sierrahotel Posts: 3
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Table looks nice, great job. I am looking at building a table too. You got the plans off the Naked Whiz site? What size hole was cut in the countertop and what is the measurement between to the countertop and the shelf below? Did not really think about using granite for the top but that really looks great. I wonder how it will hold up in the weather. Great job!
    I did get the plans off the Naked Whiz site, with only minor modifications. Hole in top is 21" per the plans, and the "X" measurement for distance from the surface of the bottom shelf to the surface of the top shelf is 15", also per the plans. I sealed the granite with a sealer that's rated for outdoor use, and I keep the table under a green egg large table cover - which is why keeping close to Whiz' plans is important - the commercial cover will fit.Also, I stained the wood using Australian Timber Oil, which holds up well outdoors here in AK, and is easy to apply.

Lesson learned - have the granite top cut 2" wider so that there's adequate overhang for the underlayment - I had to cheat mine forward a little, leaving the stained underlayment exposed a little in the back. Oh well, the best laid plans of eggs and men . . .

@sierrahotel,

Welcome to the club! You'll love your egg. Great looking table except for that RedSox bottle opener!!! 
    :-\"

At least you aren't a Yankees fan! 
    :))

Sincerely,

Rays Fan
    I root for the Sox and ANYBODY who plays the Yankees!

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Will post pics of my next "planned" cook - probably going to be another brisket. First one had to deal with the panic of waking up to a cold fire partway through the cook.  Recovered nicely, 14# brisket gone in two days (only three people eating!).