Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Philadelphia region need lump source

Options
erickpanger
erickpanger Posts: 48
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
OK I spent last Saturday hitting the common places near my home in Cherry Hill NJ outside of Philly. I was in search of something other than Cowboy which Lowe's and Home Depot carry

I went to Walmart nothing but Cowboy and Kingsford Briquette. Went to Ace Hardware Cowboy and  Kingsford Briquette. I can't find anything else. I know I can go to the BGE dealer and get BGE but honestly the bag they gave me when I bought the egg was not much different then the Cowboy stuff. Bunch of small pieces and lots of dust with a few chunks here and there.

So anyone got any other sources in this part of the world.

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    After checking some other BBQ dealers, i would check out local ace\true value hardware stores. 
    Or if you have a whole foods they have their own brand that worked pretty good for me.  

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • MeatEater
    MeatEater Posts: 22
    Options
    Check out Humphrey Charcoal, made in Brookville, PA.  Works great, nice size pieces.  Last I checked the Humphrey website, you could get a pallet of 20lb. bags for somewhere around $11.90 per bag, plus delivery charges.  If you have any wholesale food /poultry wholesalers around you, I would look there.  Sometimes these wholesalers carry lump, catering to fire companies, church groups, etc... that do chicken bbq's.  I get Humphrey at a local food wholesaler.  I just stopped one day checking around for lump in west central pa, and to my suprise they knew what I was talking about, and had it.  The problem is in my area, most places don't know what you are talking about when you ask if they have lump charcoal.
  • MattyMc
    MattyMc Posts: 81
    Options

Try a drive to the Reading, PA area and go to Fred's. He has a variety of high end lump. You can check them out (including videos) on his website. We are lucky to have one of the best BGE dealers / BBQ stores around in the Philadelphia area. You will see from posts on here that people travel from all over to go to this store. I picked up several bangs of BGE, Restaurant, and Nature's Own last month to stock up for summer. I will definitely be back as there are not many places to buy anything besides Cowboy brand. Also, Wegman's brand (same maker as BGE brand but cheaper) is good for short cooks but the pieces are smaller and don't seem to stay hot as long as the better brands.

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/550.htm

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/

Chester County, PA
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I second the suggestion to go to Fred's even though the round trip probably would take you three hours.  His "Restaurant" brand is hands down the longest burning charcoal I have ever seen, but it does spark ferociously when lit with a torch. He also carries "Mojobricks," blocks of compressed wood chips that last for hours and hours. He often has demonstrations on the weekend. If you go, make sure you set a budget before you get there. It can get mighty expensive.   
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • erickpanger
    erickpanger Posts: 48
    Options
    Sounds like a trip up that way this weekend is on the agenda.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

Try here, I know they carry RO and they are a BGE dealer.

http://www.stoveworksnj.com/home.html

Also the Walmart in Turnersville carries RO.