Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seasoning a wok

Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

I know this was discussed recently. Was it grapeseed or flaxseed oil that is supposed to be the best now?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    flax
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited April 2012
    I'm certainly not a scientist or an expert, but I think seasoning is far overrated.  Sure, you need to scrub the wok with soap and water to get the manufacturing oils out.  Then, it's a good idea to put some heat to it with a thin coat of oil.  Ms. Chan of the Wok Shop taught me to stir fry some green onions for awhile to get the metal taste out of it (never noticed a metal taste before though).

The real seasoning will come with each cook that you do.

If you google "wok flaxseed" you will read some very scientific people discounting the flaxseed oil seasoning. I use Crisco or manteca on the wok, upside down, in the oven for an hour.  Then, start cooking.  Always heat your wok very hot first, then add cold oil (I use peanut oil) and swirl it around.  That will fill the pores up and help it to not stick the food.  

I bet grandma never seasoned her CI skillets.  She just started cooking on them.  Years and years of use made them perfectly smooth and black as night.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Little Steven
    Thanks guys! I'll try the flaxseed if I can find it. This is a hammered steel wok I bought a while ago and I'd like to give it a good start. Just got a Woo

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I'm certainly not a scientist or an expert, but I think seasoning is far overrated.  Sure, you need to scrub the wok with soap and water to get the manufacturing oils out.  Then, it's a good idea to put some heat to it with a thin coat of oil.  Ms. Chan of the Wok Shop taught me to stir fry some green onions for awhile to get the metal taste out of it (never noticed a metal taste before though).

The real seasoning will come with each cook that you do.

If you google "wok flaxseed" you will read some very scientific people discounting the flaxseed oil seasoning. I use Crisco or manteca on the wok, upside down, in the oven for an hour.  Then, start cooking.  Always heat your wok very hot first, then add cold oil (I use peanut oil) and swirl it around.  That will fill the pores up and help it to not stick the food.  

I bet grandma never seasoned her CI skillets.  She just started cooking on them.  Years and years of use made them perfectly smooth and black as night.
    VI, you are the Oracle of Wok. I bought one after seeing your earlier posts. I set it up yesterday just like you said, except I forgot to turn it upside-down in the oven. Turned a nice brown color too, I seasoned it with green onion tops just like Ms Chan on the you-tube video showed us. My only problem is just like Tim the Tool Man Taylor I had to fill my egg up to the top of the fire ring and then put my spider right over the flaming hot coals, I turned it a nice blue hot steel color and then pour in oil and threw the onions in and begin to stir them, Boom! Fireball! Nice grease fire! Took a little bit to get the fire out and cool my egg down. I had it running about 900 degrees when the fire started. Started again about 500 degrees and it was much tamer, We still had issues with food sticking when we added cornstarch to the teriyaki chicken. Cooked it a little too long. Now I have to scrub wok to get it clean and then season it again. Not real sure I will do the onions again however, mainly because I don't want to go buy more. Will make sure coals are only at top of firebox and not fire ring and keep the fire under 600 degrees. And I need to cut back on oil. I think I put way to much oil as well, Ms. Chan said to use only 1 table spoon, I put in a splash of oil out of gallon jug, I think I probably had 1/4 cup. Way to much! Thanks for your help, this is opening up a whole new interest in the EGG
  • stike
    steven.  i just wanted to give you the answer to your question, which was that flaxseed was the oil the guy was talking about.  whether it's true or not i don't know, and what i use myself doesn't enter into it

• Little Steven
    I used canola.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    after the initial seasoning, it is the use that seasons it anyway.  the 'science' may be all there for a perfect initial seasoning of flaxseed, but it ignores the practical nature of the thing.  people actually use the things, and the flax seed hoo hah science is irrelevant soon after you start using it. i guess that's unless you laboriously (and unnecessarily) reseasoned it each time again with flax seed after each use.  something no one who actually USES their equipment regularly would ever actually do.
  • Little Steven
    I used canola

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Per Grace Young's Stir-Frying To The Sky's Edge, Peanut oil (or vegetable oil) followed with scallions and ginger.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    edited April 2012

Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241