Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

N00b question - raised direct vs non-raised direct cooking?

Options
Mole351
Mole351 Posts: 110
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
May be a dumb question, but what's the difference? Is it just cooking with or without the fire ring? What type of cooking would you do for each?

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    raised direct is moving the grill up to the felt level.  Many of us use a Woo or similar device from ceramic grill store.  Others carefully use a bricks to raise the grill up a few inches.

It comes in handy when you want some direct heat but not so much that the food would burn before cooking all the way through. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Mole351
    Options
    Gotcha - thanks for the info. So I'm having a get-together this weekend for my son's bday...was planning on doing some burgers and dogs. Standard size, nothing too thick or crazy - just want to cook some burgers whilst at the party...

Recommendations? Raised, not raised?
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I would do normal lvl or lowered. The lowered grate set up will give you a more seared burger. That's how I like them. Burnt on the outside, bloody on the inside. Ideally, you would cook the burgers to temp. I think 135 would be med rare. Keep asking questions. We will answer.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mole351
    Options
    So lowered is without the fire ring?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    That would be a correct statement. But lower to me is not raised as most of my cooks are raised.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    So I'm like a dinosaur on here in that I cook everything at standard level. I will be trying all these other styles and I know they all work as stated. I guess the one thing to keep in mind though is that you can make awesome burgers and dogs at any grate level. It may be easier to get certain results a certain way but the egg is a great cooker and your kids will devour any dog or burger off of it. Keep an open mind to all these great techniques  and try them all, but don't let it stop you from cooking the way the good peeps in GA intended. It's pretty damn good the way it sits (I would put it up against any other just as it comes).

Enjoy your cook and start messing with the stuff that interests you as you go. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Oops, too many beers (Chimay)
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I'm with centex. All of my cooks for grilling are at normal level.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @Mole 351-don't know what size BGE you have but here's the deal for the LBGE and cooking without the fire ring.  The standard LBGE grate (18" dia) is too big to sit on the top of the fire box when the ring is removed.  You can buy a 17" dia weber grate that fits just fine.  That grate (which will also sit on top of the fire ring) with a couple of fire bricks and you have direct raised grid setup.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    @Mole 351-don't know what size BGE you have but here's the deal for the LBGE and cooking without the fire ring.  The standard LBGE grate (18" dia) is too big to sit on the top of the fire box when the ring is removed.  You can buy a 17" dia weber grate that fits just fine.  That grate (which will also sit on top of the fire ring) with a couple of fire bricks and you have direct raised grid setup.  FWIW-
    Not sure of the "deal" but have been cooking with my large for years and setting on the firebox just fine.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    The moral of the story-test fit and go from there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.