Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High-que Grate

Eggdam
Eggdam Posts: 223
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just curious how many here use a High-que grate in their egg and if you would recommend it?  I have read up a few reviews on them and am considering ordering one.  Are there any cons to be aware about and do they improve your low and slow as well?

Comments

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    IMO the grate is worth it. You may use a tad bit more lump but it really isn't a big deal. Should not have to worry about the grate getting plugged, as the small bits of lump fall through and end up in the bottom of the egg, just a few more smaller chunks of lump to clean out with the ash. Lighting the egg is easy too, you can use news paper in the lower vent or paper towel with oil and put it into the lump, or fire starters into the lump as well. Over all I think you would be happy with the purchase. If you do low and slow type of cooks, this grate does a good job too. Not to many cons, mostly pro's the mothership should have this and a better quality gasket on all their new eggs. Good Luck and Happy Eggin. :D
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Have bought 4 (lg, sm, and two mini). Can't thank of a con.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Agree w/smokesniffer. Good product!
    Fairview, Texas
  • friscoag
    friscoag Posts: 97
    #1 on my "to buy" accessory list
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Agreed! The High Que was by far my best investment for the Egg. I have bought Woo2 a stone and other things but the grate was best of them all! Absolute must have for temp control!!

:D
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    I opened up the holes in the original grate to 3/4" this afternoon.  I will see how it goes on my next cook tomorrow.  IMO this should give me about 30% more air flow which is a nice bump up without investing any coin out of my pocket.  The grate looks good but they hose you on the price.  $35 for a 9" grate is rape as far as I am concerned.  Some dude is laughing all the way to the bank, but not with my dinero.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118

I'm not really clear on the benefit.  I've never had issues getting my egg to 800+ for pizzas or for that matter, keeping it at 220 or so for bbq.

• pab
    pab Posts: 273
    I have had mine for a few months now and am very happy with it. I agee with SamFerrise that $35 seemed like a hefty amount for a 9 inch grate, but over time the investment is quite small. I haven't had to worry about the holes clogging with small pieces of lump and as smokesniffer said very little lump goes to waste and you could always sift those pieces out and throw them on top of a fresh load.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Sure made my Large more reliable.  The XL never had the problems with air flow, it has to be the increased number of holes.  You do lose a lot more little pieces into the ash pit, but they were clogs anyway.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Eggdam
    Thanks for the input guys I think I'll have to order one.  I understand they light and pre heat faster as well.  Just wondering for low and slow if there is s problem keeping it 200-250 range?  I find the clogs to be quite annoying Ive always used the ash tool and unclogged before lighting and the heat will go to 800+ no problem.  However if you do some pizza and then drop the temp to do wings or whatever I've found it hard to bounce it back to the high temp as the lump and ash begins to settle in the bottom without clearing out new clogs.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Have bought 4 (lg, sm, and two mini). Can't thank of a con.

Use more lump?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Got mine today. Trying it out on Thursday cook. Had trouble with the original grate clogging after a few cooks. Did improve when I put the bevel side down. Sounds like the SS grate will be much better.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Just wondering for low and slow if there is s problem keeping it 200-250 range? 
    I have smoked salmon, turkey and chicken, and pork on mine at low and slow with no problem.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Eggdam
    Thanks again guys for the input.  I put the order in direct from High Que and it was only $5 to ship to Canada.  Looking forward to giving it a try.
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    I opened up the holes on my original grate today.  The hole configuration on my plate before I enlarged the holes was 34 holes @ .562" or 9/16 diameter.  I opened the holes up to .75" or 3/4 diameter.  My total area of air openings has increased by 78%.  I think that range should more than meet most needs.  I couldn't take my egg beyond 750 degrees.  I don't see a need to go to 800-900 degrees, although my egg should get close to that range now.  I think it will give me move control when making incremental changes to the temperature.  I will put it to the test tomorrow on some nice pork butt thick sliced chunks.  I will do them slow and low and post the results.  The bonus part is, no coin out of pocket.  More money for meat.  

There are times when I want to maintain a constant 500 degrees for 2 hours when I am baking pizza or breads.  I am right at Sea Level now and that geographic difference has caused me to readjust my temperature maintenance techniques.  The air at Sea Level is a little heavier and harder to push up the chimney.  I could maintain a constant 210 degrees for 10-12 hours with my damper cracked to about 1/8" and the Daisy Wheel barely cracked, just enough to let her breath very slow.  I have to give my damper 1/4" now with a little more up top than a very slight crack.  If there is no wind at all its even worse, the temp drops fast.  I like about a 10 mph wind when I put my smoke on.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Nice job, Sam!  Any special tools or just a drill bit?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Didn't think about that.  Was it tough on the bit?  Even though I have no problems with the XL I could see enlarging a few of the holes to increase over all flow.

• I got mine this past winter and love it.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    [quote]You do lose a lot more little pieces into the ash pit, but they were clogs anyway.[/quote]
    Little pieces aren't "lost", they fall to the bottom of the Egg, burn, and send their heat/smoke up into the chamber.
    And don't worry about a High-Que not being able to do a "low-und-slow"; the bottom damper controls the incoming oxygen, not the grate.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Eggdam
    edited April 2012
    I opened up the holes on my original grate today.  The hole configuration on my plate before I enlarged the holes was 34 holes @ .562" or 9/16 diameter.  I opened the holes up to .75" or 3/4 diameter.  My total area of air openings has increased by 78%.  I think that range should more than meet most needs.  I couldn't take my egg beyond 750 degrees.  I don't see a need to go to 800-900 degrees, although my egg should get close to that range now.  I think it will give me move control when making incremental changes to the temperature.  I will put it to the test tomorrow on some nice pork butt thick sliced chunks.  I will do them slow and low and post the results.  The bonus part is, no coin out of pocket.  More money for meat.  

There are times when I want to maintain a constant 500 degrees for 2 hours when I am baking pizza or breads.  I am right at Sea Level now and that geographic difference has caused me to readjust my temperature maintenance techniques.  The air at Sea Level is a little heavier and harder to push up the chimney.  I could maintain a constant 210 degrees for 10-12 hours with my damper cracked to about 1/8" and the Daisy Wheel barely cracked, just enough to let her breath very slow.  I have to give my damper 1/4" now with a little more up top than a very slight crack.  If there is no wind at all its even worse, the temp drops fast.  I like about a 10 mph wind when I put my smoke on.
    I'm curious to see how this works out for you.  I can see that your egg would get hotter but am wondering if 9/16" clogs just become 3/4" clogs.
  • DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    Coals to Newcastle but one of the first things I bought for the Egg was the Hi Que grate and love it. Only thing with low and slow is the lower damper is open even less but have not had a clog problem.
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    I have a Turbo Grate from the BBQ Guru.  Anyone compare this to the Hi Que grate? 
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    I have the standard BGE grate, which works fine when I have huge pieces of lump in the bottom, like when i open a fresh bag.  My problem is during the middle of the bag when I have the medium size pieces, where the egg gets a little finicky when trying to start.

Does the hi-que solve that problem? Can I pour a pile of medium size pieces into the egg and she'll start right up?  If that is the case, it would be worth while to me to buy it.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Does the hi-que solve that problem? Can I pour a pile of medium size pieces into the egg and she'll start right up?  If that is the case, it would be worth while to me to buy it.
    My LBGE was really fussy for air flow.  With the Hi-que it works just fine even when I dump the bottom of the bag dregs in.  I also dump small pieces unburned out of the ash pit into the bucket.  It is a trade off.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2012
      @aem said:  I have a Turbo Grate from the BBQ Guru.  Anyone compare this to the Hi Que grate? 

I gave away my Turbo Grate and  now have all Hi Ques.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    OK, I was on the fence but pulled the trigger on the Hi-Q after reading this post. I have trouble understanding why it costs so much but have the same issue with golf balls and I still buy them.

Like I have said before, if it's good enough for Mickey (President of the Turbo Cook Club) it's good enough for me.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

I got the high que grate for my small since the smalls are known to have air flow issues but I wouldn't spend the money on my larges or mini as I have no issues getting them up to temp. A severe negative to the high que is I have to empty my small out every time I use it and remove the grate and remove all the ash and small pieces that fall through the grate or it comes up to temp slower than before because the whole bottom hole will be clogged. Overall it is worth it for the small due to its issues but I don't see the need on other sizes.

• I have the Hi-Que and am very satisfied w/ it.  Sure, smaller pieces of lump will fall through, but that's a small price to pay for no more "wiggle rods" no more clogged holes, no more worrying about airflow!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • AZbge
    AZbge Posts: 96

I got the high que grate for my small since the smalls are known to have air flow issues but I wouldn't spend the money on my larges or mini as I have no issues getting them up to temp. A severe negative to the high que is I have to empty my small out every time I use it and remove the grate and remove all the ash and small pieces that fall through the grate or it comes up to temp slower than before because the whole bottom hole will be clogged. Overall it is worth it for the small due to its issues but I don't see the need on other sizes.

I haven't taken my High Q out since the day I put it in. I just use the ash tool every couple of cooks to clean out the bottom. I never noticed any trouble getting up to temp quickly but then again, I use a weed burner to start. Probably an overkill.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

The large is easier to use the ash tool in and the hole below the high que grate is bigger. The hole on the small can easily fill up after 1 decent cook. Also the ash tool isn't as easy to use on the small since the opening is much smaller. The grate is nice it makes the smalls airflow issue go away I just haven't ever had an airflow issue with my other eggs and think my money is better spent on other toys.