Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp, Armadillo Eggs, Jerk Pork & I'm Full

Smoker_Guru
Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

Started with some super spicy shrimp.image

Shrimp off and Armadillo Eggs on.image

And then the Jerk Pork Kabobs.

imageimage

Could not eat another bite!!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited April 2012
    Nice. Hell, I am full just looking. Please pass on your jerk.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Looks great-a question about your armadillo egg stuffing-could you describe the ingredients for the stuffing...when I make them I stuff the seeded jala's with mexican cheese but would like to give your method a go.  In advance, thanks and have a great day.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    Great looking food!  I need wine glasses like that instead of breaking those thin things all the time!
  • Smoker_Guru
    edited April 2012

Marinade Ingredients:
    4 Habanero, Seeded (More or Less to Taste)
    6 - 8 Green Onions
    3 Shallots (or 1/2 an Onion)
    6 Cloves Garlic
    1 1-2” Chunk Ginger
    1 Tsp Cinnamon
    1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
    2 Tsp Sea Salt
    1 Tsp Black Pepper
    1 Tbsp Dried Thyme
    1 Tbsp Allspice
    1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
    1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
    1/4 Cup Olive Oil
    1/4 Cup Lime Juice (1 Lime)
    1 Tsp Molasses
    2 Tbsp Bourbon or Rum

Put all the marinade ingredients into a blender and blended until it looks like a really thick smoothie or paste.

These were almost too spicy, I would cut back to 1 habanero next time and then work up to the right heat level.

• Smoker_Guru
    Iousubcap,
    This is something new I just tried for the stuffing:
    4 Jalapeno’s, Diced
    2 Cup Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
    Cream Cheese, Just enough to be able to make little balls and have them hold together.

Then  froze the stuffing balls overnight to make sure they were frozen solid.

Then I wrapped the balls with about 1/3 of a Italian sausage. And on to the BGE.

Freezing the cheese ball first made it much easier to wrap them in the sausage and it helped to keep the cheese from oozing out while cooking.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Thanks for the info-will definitely give it a try.  Hope they turn out as well as yours.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Smoker, I can't wait to try the eggs! Freezing the cheese first, huh? I wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks for sharing the tip.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Smoker_Guru

The eggs are realy good, I keep a bucket of the cheese balls in the freezer so any time I fire up the BGE it just takes a minute to wrap a few in the sausage and throw them on with what ever else is cooking.

Scott

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Great idea on freezing the stuffing first. I'll have to try that next time. Thanks for sharing it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings