Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Had a great time at my first Egg Fest. But............

Options
rfortman
rfortman Posts: 2
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

I went to pick up my egg after and we had problems dropping the temp.  They brought me another demo and said the charcoal was out, removed the top and helped me load into my SUV.  Half way home we felt heat and could tell something was wrong.  Pulled over and I had the left over lump with a nice red center.  I really think for safety all lump should be removed after an Egg Fest.  Is this standard or was I the exception?  End of story... Lucky the egg was not too hot, we removed it from the car and removed the rest of the lump.  Lucky we were by a bayou and could throw into the water. Three hours after letting my egg cool down enough to but back in the car, got my new baby home.  Look forward to putting the top dome back on and becoming an Egg Head!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Comments

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Holy cow! That could've turned out really bad! Glad it ended well. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • mudpuppy45
    Options
    I too enjoyed my first Eggfest yesterday. We were at the Gulf Coast Eggfest in Gulf Port, MS.  Is that where you were?  Glad that all turned out well with your "Hot Coals".  Hope you enjoy you BGE for years to come, we really enjoy ours.
    Mudpuppy45 (Ten Miles North of the Gulf in Alabama) Large BGE
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    The Eggfest closest to me has staff that removes the left over lump probably an hour or so before any Eggs get loaded up into cars. 

Good thing you were paying attention.  Glad that worked out for you and hopefully your SUV doesn't smell too smokey.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • supervisor404
    Options
    Wow thank God nothing else happen..common sense would have said told them to take it all out. Be careful and welcome to the family.
  • ButtNeckid
    Options
    @ supervisor404,unfortunately,common sense is not very common these days.NEVER leave things to OTHERS and ASSUME they have done their job correctly.ALWAYS check behind them.I'm quite sure you already know this if you are a supervisor.haha.I DO agree with you.Whoever was in charge at the eggfest should have checked ALL the eggs before people were allowed to load them into their vehicles.
  • rfortman
    rfortman Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes.  I should have known it was a bad Idea.  Yes Mud it was the Gulfport Fest had a great time and great food there.  But anyways just ate my first cook, Tri Tip. I'm a happy EggHead! and now playing with low and slow , seeing if I can keep a 225 constant for my Pork Butt I'll do this coming weekend.