Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT'S DONE

Options
cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Made my first ABT'S today. Delicious!
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• gtk10583
    gtk10583 Posts: 77
    Options
    Nice! Think I'll have to cook some up tonight too.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    They look great !  What's in them?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

I always see others making these and I never tried them. I like warm food but not

burn your mouth

hot. Do the peppers loose their heat when cooked or does everyone like hot food?

They look great but I don't want to make a dozen, try one and throw the rest away.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    Options
    If you clean them out well, you take away 90 percent of the heat.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I always see others making these and I never tried them. I like warm food but not

burn your mouth

hot. Do the peppers loose their heat when cooked or does everyone like hot food?

They look great but I don't want to make a dozen, try one and throw the rest away.

Cut off the stem, then cut in half (length wise) and the scrape out the seeds and the "ribs" and that will take care of a lot of the heat.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    @Village Idiot The ABTs had lil smokies, cream cheese and fresh cilantro inside. They were topped with red pepper jelly. My recipe was from the BGE cookbook.

@bigguy136 these were not spicy at all. My wife doesn't like hot foods and she ate 3-4 of them. As others have said, cut the stems off, clean out the seeds, and remove the membranes. Just a hint of spice at the end, but no burning sensation. They don't even need to be cooked to lose the heat. The heat is in the seeds.

Mark Annville, PA
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I made ABT's once in the past. It was mid winter and I did them (don't laugh) in the toaster oven. If the seeds and membranes are taken out, the rest of the pepper isn't any hotter than your average green bell pepper - just a bit different taste. I made half of them with just cream cheese and the other half with some cayenne pepper added to the cream cheese. Both were good in their own ways. Also had smokie links in them.

Sweet Baby Ray's Raspberry Chipotle BBQ sauce is heavenly on them. I plan to try these on my Egg too - and looking forward to it. ABT's were great coming out of a toaster oven, I can only imagine what they will be like done on a grill.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    @bigguy136, just to reinforce what was already said,  My wife and son are not fans of hot food, but both ate their fill of ABTs with seeds, and ribs removed.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I guess I will give these a try in the next month. Thanks all for the info and eye opener.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig