Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Brisket and Butts

Options
CGW1
CGW1 Posts: 332
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,

Franco with Ceramic Grillworks here. Have a question. I'm a big low and slow fan, I've done many Ribs, Briskets and Butts. I'm curious about the turbo versions. Give me the pros and cons. Does the bark on the butts setup etc etc. I need feedback. Thanks
Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I will not go back to low&slow with turbo out of the bag. A little less bark on PP but just fine. The ribs turbo were fine, just a little chewier but more juice and flavor. Not done turbo brisket yet.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CGW1
    Options
    Does the PP pull easy? What temps and time frame are we talkin...let's say for 8-10# butt?
  • jimi1234
    jimi1234 Posts: 101
    Options
    Hey Franco,

I did an 8.5# butt turbo style and it took 5 - 5.5 hours total. I went with 375 dome temp and when the butt reached 170 deg (about 3.5 hours), I double foiled it and poured 3/4 C of apple juice into the foil. Then it was back onto the egg at the same temp and I pulled it off when it was between 195 and 200. That was about another 1.5 hours. 

Then into the cooler wrapped in towels until it was time to pull.

It pulls very easily. The only real difference I noticed was that there was slightly less bark and it softens in the foil. 

I don't think I will ever do it the long way again.

Jimi1234

• CGW1
    Options
    Jimi,

Thanks for the details. I'm going to try one next weekend. Should I be successful with it, do you think the same applies for a brisket...aside from pulling it of course?
  • jimi1234
    jimi1234 Posts: 101
    Options
    I have never attempted a fast brisket but I have heard they can be done with great success.

Jimi1234