Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mid-Week Rib Roast

Options
smak
smak Posts: 199
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday the family had asked for a rib roast.  I normally do reverse sear method but did not have enough time for the low-n-slow part.  So I went with an indirect setup 500* for about 20mins and then knock the vents and let it ease down to about 375*.  I also had a few hickory chunks in the fire.

It was seasoned with some EVOO, salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary.

Overall I was very happy with the results.

And sliced:
smak
Leesburg, VA

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very nice, did you forget to invite us all over?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    That will make your mouth water!!
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    That's my favorite way to cook the roast.  Cooked one earlier this week and it came out great.I'll have to try the rosemary next time.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Oh baby! Give me that rare piece in the back!  ^:)^
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    Options
    Turbo Rib Roast?

It looks very tasty!  How long would you say it took using that method? 
  • smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Options
    I don't know if I would call it turbo.  Maybe "normal" vs. "slow".  I say this is more "normal" because sear-then-roast was the way we cooked them in the oven before I got the egg.  It probably is a point of view thing.

The roast was bit over 4.75 lbs.  I did not keep a close eye on the time but it was probably 1.75 hours(ish).

@Mickey - next time I'll send you an invite.  But, by the time you get to VA the food will most likely be gone :)
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • Cookinupnorth
    Options
    I did one at 225 ...which was sick...then did the reverse sear....people loved it...medium rare all the way through...your pic looks awesome!