Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasting coffee beans on the egg

Options
Hokie_Smoker
Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anybody ever tried roasting their own beans on the egg? What were the results? I've never tried roasting beans before but everything else on the egg is great.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Wow I've gotta follow this one!! I love finding new beans and grinding them. Would be awesome to roast my own

XLBGE 
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    There are a lot of folks using hot air pop corn poppers to home roast coffee beans. Do a search on home roasting coffee beans. It's one of my projects to do this Spring.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    Options
    Here's your new wonderland:   www.sweetmarias.com
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Anybody ever tried roasting their own beans on the egg? What were the results? I've never tried roasting beans before but everything else on the egg is great.
    Probably no advantage to do it on the Egg, as the beans have to be constantly stirred to prevent burning.  Actually, there is an advantage.... you won't smell up your house and set off the smoke alarms.  Roasting beans generates some serious smoke.
  • JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    Options
    I've been roasting coffee for about 3 years using hot air popcorn poppers. As stated above, the only advantage I would see would be not smelling up your house with the smoke. That being said, you'd need a cast iron pot or skillet. Still, you can get a suitable popper at a thrift store that will do the job and you don't have to sit there and stir the beans for 10 minute. Also, you'd probably go through a lot of lump.