Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat loaf

neumski
neumski Posts: 41
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Can't believe I have the Newest Largest cookbook for the Green Egg and a 2006/7 eggheads eggtoberfest cookbooks and can't find a good meatloaf recipe. What's up with that?  Jeff   PS...I payed 50 dollars for the big one when they first came out at the Atlanta store/distribution center. And for some of you...don't put more into this than it is like my anal post haha.
2nd large Egg Nest

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Here's one that I picked up from one of the cooks at Eggtoberfest last year.  It is very good IMO.

Mike

Ingredients:

1 lb. Ground Beef

1/2 lb. Ground Pork

1/2 tsp. Dry Mustard

1/4 tsp. Ground Black Pepper

1 Cup Italian Bread Crumbs

1/4 tsp. Sage

2/3 Cup Milk

1 Garlic Clove Crushed

1 Egg

3/4 tsp. Dizzy Pig Cow Lick

1/4 Cup Chopped Onion

1 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce

1 1/2 tsp. Salt

Ketchup & Heinz 57 For
    Brushing

Directions:

1.  Preheat Cooker to 350*F with indirect setup
    (platesetter)

2.  Add 3-4 Chunks of Cherry Wood

3.  Mix all ingredients together in a bowl

4.  Brush top of loaf with mixture of ketchup and
    Heinz 57 and sprinkle with more steak rub.

5.  When cooker is stable at 350* place meatloaf
    in and cook for 1.5 hours on the grate above a drip pan until done (internal
    meat temp 150-155*)

6.  When meatloaf is done remove and rest for
    5-10 minutes before slicing.

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited April 2012
    I've tried a lot of recipes, but I always keep coming back to the old Betty Crocker recipe I've used for 25 years.  (note: Substitute "Egg" for "oven")

1 ½ lb. Beef, ground
    ½ cup Cracker crumbs
    2 Eggs, beaten
    1 8 oz. can Tomato sauce
    ¼ cup Onion , finely chopped
    2 tablespoons Bell pepper, chopped
    1 dash Thyme, dried, crushed
    1 dash Marjoram, dried, crushed
    1 teaspoon Salt
    • -- Topping --

• ½ cup Ketchup
    • 1 tablespoon Sugar, brown, packed
    • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    • 2 teaspoons Lemon juice
    • ½ teaspoon Horseradish, prepared
    1.Mix all ingredients. Shape into loaf and bake at 350º for 1 1/4 hours.
    2.15 or 20 minutes before meatloaf is done, apply topping and return to oven.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• neumski
    So you two also had or have had a hard time finding a egg/recipe... that seems odd to me. I will print these up and try them both in the future...
    2nd large Egg Nest
  • Ottawa_Eggman
    Ottawa_Eggman Posts: 111
    edited April 2012
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited April 2012
    So you two also had or have had a hard time finding a egg/recipe... that seems odd to me. I will print these up and try them both in the future...
    lol.  I don't know any recipes that are exclusive "egg recipes".  A recipe is a recipe, and if it can be adapted to the egg, that's great !!! But, I have never seen one that can only be cooked on the Egg because any cook the Egg can do, another device can do it too  ..... grilling, smoking, baking, stir frying, etc.  The good thing about the Egg is that it can do them all, but none are exclusive to the Egg (that I know of)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I like the carlucci Brothers recipe from the meatloaf throwdown with Bobby Flay. Can be found all over the internet and I think I might have put it on my site. Can't 'member right now.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• neumski
    @ Village idiot...(btw...Love your name haha) Yup I'm with you that all recipes can be cooked on the egg...but it seems to me that some have been tried & true on the egg and at the eggfests and have been proven so make it into the egg recipe books ( especially if there good). @ Griffin... I do have a healthy version of the Bobby Flay books ( I wonder if meat loaf coulda made it in a healthier cook book haha) and I do believe Flay uses predominantly on the Weber so I will check there thanx... Jeff
    2nd large Egg Nest
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614

The wife wanted to make meatloaf tonight in the oven, but after reading this, I say why not in the egg?  My only question, is that we usually use a loaf pan for the oven - do you do the same thing in the egg or just put it directly on the grid?

Thansk.

• Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372

I've done it both ways and both ways work, but if you set it directly on the grid you will probably want some kind of a drip pan under it. And I alway cook meatloaf indirect.

Scott

• neumski
    I did mine with a couple a lbs of ground beef in a pyrex square oven dish on the grill above the plate setter and it turned out marvelous! It took 1.5 hrs. MMMMMM!
    2nd large Egg Nest
  • The BGE recipe in the cookbook is awesome!
  • neumski
    Which one cookinupnorth?
    2nd large Egg Nest